No announcement yet.

Voting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I voted, just can't see why. I respect the struggle that went on to actually get me the vote, but my vote is pointless. Always. Last night was the closest I actually came so far to not bothering.

Comment

Looks like the "No"s may have it quite significantly and the turnout wasn't bad either.

Question: is that good or bad?
      The cats' valet.

Comment

Turn out 30-50%
        BBC News - AV referendum: More people 'vote no'

No about 70%
        BBC News - Vote 2011: UK on course to reject AV

Comment

Originally posted by chucks View Post
          But doesn't FPTP mean the winner has had the majority?
          That's the problem, FPTP means the person who got the most votes wins even if that's only considerably less than half ie not a majority. In an area where there is a definite favourite amongst voters it wouldn't make a jot what system you used as they'd get the most votes and it would also be a majority ie over 50%. However in areas where there are two or three popular candidates the vote could be theoretically split pretty equally between them which would mean that candidate A would win if they got 30% of the vote but B got 29% with the remaining 41% going to minor parties ie nobody has a majority but A would be FPTP. With AV they would redistriubtion of the minor votes (lowest first) to look at who people put as their second choice until somebody got over 50% which is a majority. Not easy to explain in simple terms but actually a very simple system which gets a candidate that more people like and not one (as in the example above) where potentially 70% (ie a real majority) don't want. Unfortunately it wasn't explained well or sold properly and we've lost the chance for change

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ah well thats AV blown out thank goodness stupid idea. PR now thats a different kettle of fish maybe thats why we wern't offered that choice.

Who was it who said `do you really think we would let them vote if it made a difference`?

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Ah well thats AV blown out thank goodness stupid idea. PR now thats a different kettle of fish maybe thats why we wern't offered that choice.

Who was it who said `do you really think we would let them vote if it made a difference`?

Colin
              Ken Livingstone.
              If Voting Changed Anything, They'd Abolish It
              by Ken Livingstone
              Softcover, Fontana, ISBN 0006373356
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

BW thanks I knew I had heard it somewhere. Livingstone is not really my cup of tea but I have to give it to the man he will sometimes tell it as it is.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post

Colin
                  PR = party lists, = even less chance of breaking the stranglehold the biggest parties have on what actually happens. It also means even less chance for the 'mavericks' within a party, the ones who support the party 'on the whole' but may not be totally sold on every last detail of its policy. To me that would be a MUCH WORSE system than the old one. I want a chance of an MP who THINKS!
                  As for ' we wouldn't let them vote if it changed anything', yeah, the last time they extended the vote (to those between 18 and 21), like ever previous 'extension' there was a sudden (and quite large) shift away from the party that had been in charge when it happened.
                  Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                    Just been and cast my votes. Timed it for just after the school run thinking it would be fairly quiet then. FAIRLY QUIET??? Six bods on the desks handing out papers, and I was the only voter there!!! Is nobody else voting?
                    Only 27% of folk voted up here, apparently. Grrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                      I get how it works (just read about it on the BBC site).. however what I don't get is the underlying party issues, why x hates y, and why z hates x and y, and so forth. I didn't even know there were more than 3 parties until just now... and wasn't aware even what 'AV' stood for until just now either. shocking really, but true
                      I know exactly what you mean - I have started forcing myself to sit and read through the politics side of things to get a better understanding. I don't answer my door when they come knocking but read the flyers (which can be *quite* illuminating) and various online sources. Once I have made my decision I ignore the media and keep my head down

I find the local elections far easier - the policies (or lack of) are easier to pick apart. In my ward, only one candidate lives in the area and seems to actuallly do something so the choice is fairly simple. The others seem insane or out for a political career. If he would just sort me out with an allotment he'd have my vote for life

Comment

Originally posted by Florian View Post
                        Only 27% of folk voted up here, apparently. Grrrr.
                        Does that mean you get the government you didn't vote for?
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X