Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Death by misadventure ... or gross negligence?!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death by misadventure ... or gross negligence?!?

My mother has killed my seedling brassicas - 6 kale, 3 caulis, 3 cabbages.

They were in the greenhouse yesterday and she considered it too cool to put them outside ... it got to 33 degrees in the greenhouse (not the first time this year) and they have been cooked to death.

I am wearing a black arm band today.

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
    My mother has killed my seedling brassicas - 6 kale, 3 caulis, 3 cabbages.

They were in the greenhouse yesterday and she considered it too cool to put them outside ... it got to 33 degrees in the greenhouse (not the first time this year) and they have been cooked to death.

I am wearing a black arm band today.
    Take her outside and ...............
    The law will hang the man or woman
    Who steals the goose from off the common
    But lets the greater thief go loose
    Who steals the common from the goose
    http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

I made a rather rude remark about her skills in the garden, but the retort related to her having to compromise to bring up children...

think I might have lost that one, then!

Comment

Oh dear
        I bet your poor mother is even more upset than you!
        See- you're never too old to learn
        It's not too late to start again- just frustrating!
        Could have been worse....mice/sugs/snails...I suppose- at least you know who to glare at!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Get them on the compost heap. Take comfort from the fact that their death will not be in vain, they will make their contribution to the compost, no matter how small.

Comment

As Nicos says, at least there's time to start again (I only started sowing my brassicas yesterday).
            It's nice to be able to blame someone though, isn't it? Last year I diligently opened up the greenhouse before leaving for work at 7.30 every morning, then closed it up at night, until... the one morning I was running late and forgot. Let's just say it was a hot Spring day; I came home to find my little seedlings frazzled: basil, sweet peppers and chillis and various flower seedlings. I honestly felt like crying, so I sympathise completely!

Comment

Yes, at least brassicas can be sown through most of the season, and it's not like they were killed just as they were about to produce something wonderful - that would be worse, after so much effort!

The days and nights are so extreme at the moment - after a day at 20 degrees yesterday (peaking at 33 degrees in the greenhouse), it was about minus 2 last night (5 degrees in the greenhouse). Not much fun for little plants even without careless mothers in charge

Comment

What a shame Cutecumber, but as everyone says, plenty of time to start again. And brassicas are pretty tough, they would be safer outdoors.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

yes, they would be better off outside. I did make that point, but it was too late!

Oh, and then we have rootfly, of course. I always lose some young plants to rootfly even with collars on.

I'm going to have to be more vigilant and use the enviromesh right from the start.

Comment

Tell your Mum that if it's a nice sunny day it's OK to open the greenhouse. Air is good and the plants need to be kept at reasonable temperatures. If Mum can't or won't open the doors/windows, try investing in an automatic vent system

Comment

Lock her in the greenhouse.

Simple. She won't do it again.
                      The law will hang the man or woman
                      Who steals the goose from off the common
                      But lets the greater thief go loose
                      Who steals the common from the goose
                      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts