Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen

Hi all - a gentle reminder!!

Stupid muppet that I am, I forgot to put suncream on before going to the lottie this morning - was just so eager to get there and get digging.

Just got out of the bath and all I can say is aaaaarrrrggggggghhhhhh!!!

A bit too late I know but I'll definitely be slapping it on tomorrow.

Happy digging, growing and sowing all - and happy weekend

Squash Muppet
    Last edited by Squash Muppet; 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM.

You, you're just showing off you are !
    We had a bit of sun today, but not enough to toast you. Although we do all have windburn thanks to that blasted northeasterly that won't go away.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've not managed to be that bad SM but yesterday there was a definite reddishness to my cheeks and nose. I too will be slapping on the stuff. My friend's husband (age 39 3/4) had a suspicious mole removed from his face last year and it was found to be cancerous. Not a sun worshipper, works nights, but very very lucky they got it when they did.

It can be easy to forget how strong the sun can be this early in the year and if you are on the lottie reapplying is not fun but don't forget to do that too. Most sunscreens need reapplying every two hours or so or you loose the protection.

And don't forget the fluids if it is hot and the hat.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

I suffered a reaction to the sun last year - very itchy lumpy skin after 30 mins in north east garden. Learned to use only sun lotion with 5* UVA protection as apparently it's the UVA rays that cause this type of reaction. Once converted to the 5* stuff no problems, even in the south of France camping last summer.

PS Hope everyone enjoys the sun this Easter!
        Julie

Comment

Thank you for the timely reminder

Yes I did get burnt yesterday, didn't realise I'd been out in the sun so long. There is now a bottle of sun cream in the shed on the plot, which got used today and will be again
          Save the earth - it's the only planet with chocolate

Comment

I know TwoSheds! LOL!

Another lovely day at this end - went to the garden centre and absolutely roasted! Question - how can you reapply suncream with muddy hands? I don't wear gardening gloves. Don't fancy asking the old guys on my site to rub any in either

BTW TwoSheds, congratulations on being the MOM for April. Hope you get some sun at your end soon.

Thanks for the info Jaykay - will look out for cream with the higher UVA protection.

Happy weekend and blessings to all.
            SM

Comment

Originally posted by Squash Muppet View Post
              I know TwoSheds! LOL!

Another lovely day at this end - went to the garden centre and absolutely roasted! Question - how can you reapply suncream with muddy hands? I don't wear gardening gloves. Don't fancy asking the old guys on my site to rub any in either

BTW TwoSheds, congratulations on being the MOM for April. Hope you get some sun at your end soon.

Thanks for the info Jaykay - will look out for cream with the higher UVA protection.

Happy weekend and blessings to all.
              SM
              Get some cheap latex type gloves, keep in shed. Don't wear for gardening, but keep handy to put over muddy hands for re-applying suncream. Have the same problem. Hate wearing gloves. I'm getting better though, I do wear leather gloves now when pruning/clearing brambles and pyracantha. Too many battle wounds and sore hands.

Comment

I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones I never burn but tan very nicely.
                Just a few hours in the sun & I look like I have been on the sun bed for a month.
                Madderbat always says I must have some Greek or Italian in my genes.
                I don't know my roots beyond my great grand parents.
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

Didn't think I had any sunburn, but my arms are itching like crazy this morning!
                  You are a child of the universe,
                  no less than the trees and the stars;
                  you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

ouch

Yep, i'm a bit warm across the shoulders.
                    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Top tip for getting suncream on your back - apply it to the BACK of your hands and rub in...you'll be able to reach further
                      I prefer to get a natural tan rather than use suncream though (too many chemicals for my liking), so real sun, little and often is my rule. Put on a shirt/hat/shroud after 20 mins or so
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

2sheds you should look at the ultrasun range, slightly less offensive, in a pump dispenser airless thingy and they do a physical block one with 99% UVA blockage at Factor 30. You just look a little whiter for longer.

The thing with a tan is it is your skin's reaction to sun damage, yes natural but evidence that you skin is trying to protect itself.
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

Comment

Factor 30, for children and Martians, thats what I use till I colour up some.

Comment

I hope you cover those delicate ears and snout too PW. Backs of ears are easily forgotten - ask Mr EB. He went ouch and I replied Yeuchhhh!!. They were even too sore to put cream on.
                            Bright Blessings
                            Earthbabe

Comment

Both Mr OWG and myself have "caught the sun", but only on our faces.

It was so windy here that you still have to work in long sleeves, despite the sun blistering down!

All my freckles have come out on my face

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X