Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee keeping course

I'm excited.......
    Tonight is the first night of my bee keeping course in Woodstock, Oxfordshire!!!
    Counting the hours.

Lucky you, hope you enjoy it. Do pass on the information please. I don't have bees at the moment, but am dreaming.

Comment

Will do Madderbat....I had bees 12 years ago, so a refresher is much needed before I start again.
      If you are ok with lots of bees about then GO FOR IT! they are great to keep and you get HONEY!

Comment

Please, please, please, keep me informed. I have a long standing dream of having a couple of acres to grow stuff, a couple of goats, and some chickens. To me, that would be the ideal.

Zebedee
        "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

A couple of the old boys on my site keep bees. I got stung by a bee last year......20 quid for a jar of honey!

No seriously, I did get stung. I mentioned it in passing to one of the old fellas...and he reacted defensively, 'How do you know it was one of mine?' hehehehe

They do say that if you suffer from hayfever and you eat the honey made from the pollen that you are in contact with, that it alleviates the symptoms.

I am a research biochemist by trade and I can see the sense in this, though it hasn't been scientifically proven as far as I know.

Nothing better for the soul though than locally produced honey.

Comment

Mr EB has just finished the course I did last year and had his apiary visit. He'll be helping out the chap I helped out last summer which is a nice gentle way in.

The local Beekeeping Association should be able to point you in the direction of beginner info and many let non beekeepers join and then you can take part in site visits. Some associations have their own "teaching" hives especially for beginners or those without their own as well as those further down the line to learn new techniques/share info etc.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Yes
              Please do let us know, I want to keep bees too - eventually - do you know what it would cost to set up? And i suppose you would need to check allotment rules, there arn't any on my allotment at the moment. Also am next to a road/pavement (other side of my hedge) would this be a problem?
              best wishes
              Sue

Comment

Hi Headfry

How did the course go? Hope you had a great time - and in Woodstock too! I love that place. Have memories of lunches in the Black Prince pub sitting by the river in the warm sunshine.........bliss......

I'm about 10-15 mins from Woodstock. Are you near to me at all? I'm in Ducklington.

Blessings
                Squash Muppet

Comment

I would love to keep bees too, left my info with the bee keeping association last summer but no one got in touch, let us know how it goes.
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

It was a great evening! very relaxed, more like a group of friends chatting, lovely!
                    There was maybe 10 of us, all types of people who want to learn about bee keeping, so a very motivated crowd!
                    We looked at hive types, how the hive works, how the bees work, where to put hives, equipment needed, clothing......and more!
                    Last night was an 'intoduction' so the next meeting on 25th will be more of a 'down to work' evening! I think I will need some kit soon!
                    Squash Muppet- I am in the Heyfords! so for me just 12mins to Woodstock.
                    Yoanbob- try again with the Bee Ass. I love bees they are so facinating, and as a bonus you get some honey! You have got to give it a go. Dont give up yet!

Comment

Bees are great for pollenating your crops as well. I finished a bee keeping course recently and am currently saving up for a hive but am very excited about getting bees
                      Last edited by xspye; 12-04-2007, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I am now saving too xspye... how far off are you?
                        What type of hive are you hoping to get?

Should we have a bee keeping section on the forum? would there be enough interest?
                        How do I go about asking the powers that be?

Comment

do they have a web site HF might get more luck with that if they have
                          Yo an' Bob
                          Walk lightly on the earth
                          take only what you need
                          give all you can
                          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

oooooh Thanks LJ,
                            Is it an ok idea with you folks?

Yoanbob....
                            try this site
                            www.bbka.org.uk
                            I hope that helps