No announcement yet.

New Neighbours...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the plus side, think of all the lovely free manure!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Originally posted by laura g View Post
      With neighbours, as in anything, its always in the approach.

If this guy has not even moved in and he's given you chapter and verse that he's going to do this, and that, and he wants this and he wants that...well. It's going to get your back up isnt it?? He might actually be the most reasonable, considerable bloke on the planet but he's given you no reason to think that.
      I think you've hit the nail on the head!

To speak to, both of them seem to be very nice people, pretty much "our sort" of people (have dogs, horses, chickens, outdoorsy people).

I think it's just the way they've come in with all the talk of what they plan to do, without any introductions (or even waiting until they've actually moved in) and with no apparent thought over anyone else's views.

I suspect that a lot of the plans they have aren't immediate plans, especially if planning permission is involved, but it would have been nice to get to know them without this issue potentially hanging over everything!

And, I will, of course, offer to take any spare manure off their hands for free!
      Last edited by OverWyreGrower; 18-04-2007, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Get them to leave the couch grass in their paddock - apparently it's a good natural anti parastic for horses..... You see, everything has its use....
        All at once I hear your voice
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Just a quick update

Well, they still haven't moved in yet...

Sounds like everything has been going wrong for them:

The new flooring wasn't delivered on time and the joiners are still laying it.

The house needed new doors and windows upstairs to comply with building regulations (it's a new build house and has never been lived in)

The builder/developer (who is the current owner) hadn't got any of the certificates for a new build (e.g. builders certificate, gas certificate, electric certificate) so nothing could be signed

The farmer they employed to RoundUp the field can't get his tractor through the shiny new electric gates to spray the field.

No planning permissions have been applied for yet, as they can't agree on size/design of the garage/stable block

On the plus side though, we had another chat with them and they are really nice. We've babysat their dogs for them whilst they were working in the house, and have offered to do so again.

We've offered home grown veg in exchange for as much manure as we can use and any surplus game (e.g. rabbits, pheasant), as the husband shoots.

It's rather nice to have neighbours, even though I'm still dreading what they're going to do to my view!!

Comment

Glad to hear it's not all doom and gloom for you, at least if they are nice people then they are more likely to listen to your concerns about the size of the stables etc. If the scenery was one of the things that attracts them to the house, then spoiling it for someone else would seem a tad hypocritical.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Chances are they are just excited. I have huge plans for houses after just looking at pictures off the internet, let alone actually getting a new house. 2 acres, ohhhh what I could do with that!!!
              Anyway, once they are in I'm sure you could talk to them about your concerns.
              Unfortunetly you don't have any rights at all to a view, and planning permission won't be turned down for that reason. The lights I believe are another thing.
              There was a good site I used to go on which dealt with this type of problem.
              http://www.nfh.org.uk/

Good luck

Comment

As a minor addition - how old is your house? If it is more than 30 years old the ruling on 'ancient light' means that any proposed extension/modification/addition to your neighbours property must not impinge on the available light to your house. This is calculated in lux at noon or some such and should mean that the stable block with its inevitable lighting is positioned a reasonable distance from your windows. Can't do much about the view though - sorry.

As for the floodlit sand thingy - get hold of the bat protection people they may have a lot to say in the matter! I know that the lights will attract moths and therefore bats but while that sounds an argument for the lights it is a artificial alteration of habitat and if not restricted could cause damage to the bat population as it is not constant! It is the lack of consistancy which might save you. The lights will generate a feeding area, the bats will become dependant on the feeding area, no lights = no food, dead bats! So, unless your new neighbours can afford to have the lights on every evening regardless of use/benefit to them, they probably won't be allowed them!
                Highly convoluted, pretzels are straighter, I know....

Best I can think of, good luck

Terry
                The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X