Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water

Hi,

We've been told by our local council that they won't be switching the water on this summer at the allotments. Our allotment rep was told that the pipes had burst because "someone" switched the water supply on over winter and the water froze, hence bursting the pipes. The council implied that the "someone" was the allotment holders.

Our rep pointed out that no one on the allotments has a key to open the hydrant which allows water to our allotments. (thats why he asked the council to switch it on).

Could it be a coincidence that our allotments form part of the councils grand plans for redevelopment of the area, and we have been targeted for new housing? We, and many local residents, are opposed to this (obviously).

Do we have a right to water? I guess probably not. But is there anything more we can do about it (except hope it rains and set up more water butts)??

Clareg

Does it say anything in your agreement?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Does your rent, include for water?

You need to check the small print of your agreement, should give you some answers.

Comment

I think councils are still leagaly obliged to provide alloments as long as people wanted them.
        Start sturing things in the local press if you get no joy on the water issue.
        Enlist the help of a local councilor.
        Building land is valuable & councils will hike off land to keep the tax bills down.
        All open space is worth fighting for & too much is beeing used for housing do not let "them" take it away from you.
        Last edited by bubblewrap; 16-04-2007, 01:02 PM.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

I am fairly certain that the law still stands that if 6 or more people request allotment space, the council is obliged to provide it! (Don't quote me, though. It's worth looking at, however!)

Secondly, if allotments are provided by the council, and they, for some spurious reason, cut off the water, that is a form of constructive dismissal. Make as much noise as possible, anywhere, anyhow, anywhen.

There is just too much land grabbing going on for profit, and blow everybody else!!!

Zebedee
          "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

The water companies provide your water though don't they? Not the council.

Our site has a water meter and we get billed for it......comes out of our plot subs.

Even if you're not being billed, the council are not providing your water surely. You can always contact your local water company I would have though.
            Last edited by Tyto Alba; 16-04-2007, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Our council "controls" the supply of water to our site.
              The water was turned off before Christmas & turned on again the week before Easter.

Our rent pays for the the water.
              Last edited by bubblewrap; 16-04-2007, 04:17 PM.
              Brian Clough

Comment

If they don't supply water to a site which previously had water, they are in breech of contract!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thames Water is trying to get allotment watering via hosepipes classed as non-essential, along the lines of washing the car.
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Thames Water is trying to get allotment watering via hosepipes classed as non-essential, along the lines of washing the car.
                    I always thought "food"growing was exempt or does that only apply to "farmers"(suppliers to supermarkets)if my veg dies due to lack of water where do I go ? Thing is I don't make MONEY off my lottie.
                    Need I say any more.
                    Last edited by bubblewrap; 17-04-2007, 06:49 AM.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Hosepipes are not allowed on my site, but we do have several taps where you can fill your watering can, and everybody has butts. I think this is a good system.

Comment

Hi,

I'm going to have a look around my house to see if I have a contract. As far as I remember I have only ever been sent an invoice each year for the rent, never signed a contract of any sort. The rep said the council control the water.

I hope they do manage to sort it out. I have nearly used all the water in the butts already. The weathermen say its going to rain by the end of the week which is good news!

Thanks for all your replies, I will check with the rep again asap.

Clareg

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                          I always thought "food"growing was exempt or does that only apply to "farmers"(suppliers to supermarkets)if my veg dies due to lack of water where do I go ? Thing is I don't make MONEY off my lottie.
                          Need I say any more.
                          I did say "trying".
                          Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.

Comment

Our landlord uses horse / cattle troughs and hosepipes are banned.

A naughty person cut into the supply on one site and fitted a secret standpipe, got caught when the landlords water bill for that site exceeded all the other sites.

Comment

Good news! Arrived at the allotments last night to find the car park full. Why? Because the council had switched the water supply on. So much for the pipes being cracked!

cheers for all your suggestions, lets hope they keep it switched on!

Clareg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X