No announcement yet.

St George's Day...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always start my Dandelion wine on St George's day. (Then I dig up the season's seedling dandelions - we're next to a paddock so all sorts of stuff blows in!) I thought this was a well-known tradition? Apparently not. I didn't make it up, honestly!

Then you can celebrate the day properly when it's ready!

Flum
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

st georges day

I think it is such a shame we english don't celebrate st georges day. its one big rave whenever its st patricks day. We had a bbq in the garden to celebrate (a bbq in april, we couldn't believe it)!

Comment

And who chose a flower which will never be in season for that day?????
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Obvious Nicos! Someone with a hot-house business!

Flum
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

There seems to be something of a movement going on to start celebrating St George's day more noticeably. We've always had parades by the local Guides/Scouts/Brownies etc. but they used to be a bigger event when I was small.This year I noticed that there was a parade with floats etc. through Manchester but it seemed as though it was going to be a lot more low-key than the St. Patrick's Day event which took over the city centre for about a week! The only thing I noticed in our neighbourhood was one family hanging England flags from their house.
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I am surprised that the nanny state allows the displaying of flags for something like our patron saint, now if it was a sporting event

Comment

Perhaps it should be a bank holiday???????? the more the better I say
                Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful..William Morris

Comment

Originally posted by shirley View Post
                  Perhaps it should be a bank holiday???????? the more the better I say
                  I'd vote for that....maybe it's about time we are encourged to celebrate our National Saint- can't think of a better way !! ('bout time we had another BH!!!)
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Okay.. at risk of flaming the fire here I completely agree with PW... My OH is Welsh and even he thinks it's outragious that the English are 'knocked' for celebrating being English.

I personally do think celebrating a parton saint is about celebrating what they did, but more a chance to express pride in your nationality.

For example, my little boy came home on Saint Davids day from nursery with a paper leek thingy they made. They don't normally come home with anything remotely like that so it was obviously a nice thing where they were making an occasion of it - fab I think. But did he come home with a paper thingy rose or anything like that on Saint Georges day? Nope.

OH is often annoyed at the Scout movement (he's a leader) as apparently Scouts are allowed to wear their national flags on their sleeves..... but not an English one.... I mean, what's all that about??
                    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                      .....OH is often annoyed at the Scout movement (he's a leader) as apparently Scouts are allowed to wear their national flags on their sleeves..... but not an English one.... I mean, what's all that about??
                      If he goes abroad he can wear the union jack for 12 months but after that he is supposed to take it off ( and leave a mark where it's been ) I agree that we should celebrate St Georges day, I also think that if they want a 2nd chamber that is elected, scrap the lords and we'll have an English parliament like the scottish, Welsh & Irish assemblies but I can't see any of these shower going for that.
                      Last edited by nick the grief; 25-04-2007, 06:43 PM. Reason: bard speeling
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

You should celebrate St Georges Day .
                        Another Bank Holiday - I'd vote for that.

But remember nobody throws a party like the Irish throw a party.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_jook.gif
Views:	4
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	2318766
                        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

We will never get that Nick as all of the Scottish Labour MP's who are in parliment would be gone along with a big chunk of pinochio big ears majority.

Comment

I think they'll all be gone at the forthcoming election Piglet, and then who will we have .

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X