Moving to France - planning ahead

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks guys .... loads to think about!

new build / self build could definitely be an option .... we'll be happy living in a caravan or anything while it's all going on ....

the health service info is quite important .... i'll be happy to register a business in france to make things work ....

we definitely want to integrate into french society .... it's something completely different to here .... we live in "suburbia" now, and it's actually a very nice suburban area .... sadly, as people move away, new people come in who "don't want to integrate" ....

i can pick up the lingo if i hear and use it enough .... i'm sure the missus can too .... out of the hundreds of channels on sky, i've found one in french .... we'll give that a try although we don't watch much telly .... we might even take in a french lodger for a while ....

we really will need to find out about areas and villages etc .... that will be our winter research project .... and then we can visit areas next year ....

how easy do you guys feel it was to integrate into french society? did it take time for the locals to accept you?

what were the biggest difficulties with moving to france?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I think it depends. I came on my own with 2 children, so had LOTS of motivation to integrate, learn to speak French well enough to work and make friends.
      Most couples I meet here find it much harder as they have each other to talk to so there isn't the same motivation.
      The only strange thing that happened, was that one day the gate bell rang and I went to answer it. There were 2 old men who stared at me and said " you're the English woman" and walked off! Needless to say, Brits are very welcome here - perhaps because there aren't too many of us. Mr P is a frog!
      As to moving to France. I moved lock, stock and barrel. I finished up all tax obligations in England as soon as possible. I think people find it more complicated if they try to keep a foot in both camps. Then, you'll need tax advice etc. I work so have a social security N° and am fully integrated in that respect. It can be especially important if you get very ill. (I had breast and skin cancer so treatment would have been impossibly expensive if I'd had to pay privately and the NHS doesn't want to know me any more in GB as I left in 1990).
      One of the other French grapes can tell you what you'll need to do if you don't want to separate totally.
      Life here is good! Have fun with your research!

Comment

Hi FG - I hope your plans come to fruition and even vegetation!

On top of the many great pieces of advice already given make sure you have a reliable English speaking French lawyer so that all the nuances which may apply to your purchase and tax status etc are taken into account. You may need to look into French Capital Gains Tax which, unlike your main UK home, is payable upon sale as far as I know.

You may also like to look into French Inheritance Laws - they are very different to English Laws and as far as I understand you are NOT able to disinherit a close family member (ie son/daughter, brother,sister etc) should you fall out. Not suggesting that such a thing might happen - but you may want to think about having assets here and there and having an English will in addition to cover UK assets which could be distributed differently or according to inheritance laws should no will exist.

Wish you well with your plans.
        Last edited by quark1; 16-07-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Good point about Inheritance quark.
          It's pretty complicated to be honest, esp if there are 2nd marriages etc and children involved from different marriages/relationships.
          You really need to sort that out with a lawyer , as one whole side of the new family could be left with nothing- or worse still one of you is booted out of your own home in favour of the other person''s children. (No matter who paid for the place as far as I can see!)

Be aware ( I'm pretty sure this is the case)that if you buy a house in joint names then if you split up, you can't enforce the sale of the house if the OH refuses to sell....A French lawyer will explain all this too you.

There's a heck of a lot of red tape here in France- just don't let it put you off!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X