No announcement yet.

Are humans designed to eat meat or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't eaten dead furry or feathered animals for 25 years but I do eat fish still - so I''m a pesky pescatorian. I eat this way because it feels right to me but I wouldn't preach my reasons to you Shaun or anyone else. You have to make up your own mind on this. 77 days of not eating meat is a start but can you live with out it permanently? Tell me again in the new year whether you're eating meat or not.

Comment

Whilst I'm up here in the office finishing off work ahead of the weekend and the smell of my roasting pork belly is wafting up the stairs to assault my nose - I'd say, yes, I am designed to eat meat
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

I'm 28 years veggie [29 next month].

Still alive. Still happy. What's not to like?

Comment

I haven't (knowingly) eaten red meat since 1984 - and I can't say that I miss it. I still eat fish and occasionally chicken, but I really don't crave it - I much prefer my veg and cheese. Can't live without cheese!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Phsiologically yes, you can say that we are 'designed' to eat meat, but as part of an omnivourous diet. We have the body design of a primate and our closest cousin is the cimpanzee, who activley hunt and eat meat.

The fact that you have canine teeth shows that whatever design process brought us to where we are had us ripping and biting flesh with our teeth.

If we were naturally veggie we would have less teeth and a more complex stomach/digestive system.

Comment

I am 65 years 11 months and 23 days a meat eater still alive (mostly) still happy (very). Whats not to like. Get the hint everyone.

Sorry Zazs could not resist.

Seriously though this is everyone's personal choice and that choice should be respected.

Colin
              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                Can't live without cheese!
                Me neither!

Comment

who needs to be fast enough, nimble enough or have sharp fangs or claws to catch prey. We are clever enough to be able to do it without these attributes.

Comment

We dont eat dairy and I dont eat meat - (this is since the summer for me.) So I guess I am nearly vegan - I have a small amount of cheese (goats) and eggs now and then, but I could probably give them up, but not leather shoes!!

It might be harder in the winter though when there's not such yummy veg around...what do all you veggies like to eat in the winter?

Comment

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
                      We dont eat dairy and I dont eat meat - (this is since the summer for me.) So I guess I am nearly vegan - I have a small amount of cheese (goats) and eggs now and then, but I could probably give them up, but not leather shoes!!

It might be harder in the winter though when there's not such yummy veg around...what do all you veggies like to eat in the winter?
                      Other seasonal veg!

Comment

This year has reminded me that if I was a medieval peasant subsisting off what I could grow, I'd be in for a tough winter...
                        Garden Grower
                        Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Just eat whatever is in season. Beans and nuts are available all year round and they are the basics, then add the veg - whatever there is.

Comment

what do all you veggies like to eat in the winter?
                            Whatever's in the freezer: soups, curries, stews ...

I grow my own protein (dried beans), so it's not difficult to make interesting, healthy meals 365 days of the year

(veggie for 24 years now)
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                              65 years 11 months and 23 days a meat eater
                              Colin, you remind me of my dear old Grandad: he "didn't believe" in vegetarianism, and Nan would always sneak some ham into my cheese omelettes

He stopped ribbing me (pun intended) when a man he was chatting to said I was the healthiest, bonniest lass he'd seen ~ that man was his butcher
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm as staunch a meat eater as you could ever wish to meet, but due to health reasons, I do have to watch my red meat intake (is that a clue as to whether we should eat meat or not? I don't know).

My wife was raised as a veggie and I ripped all sorts of micky taking out of her when we first got together, and she soon came round to my way of thinking once I refused to pay out the ridiculous prices being charged for Linda McCartney pies and sausages!!!

I will continue to read this thread with genuine interest as my mind is starting to come around to being changed!

The main problem that I would have to adjust to would be...... What the hell am I supposed to eat when I come out of the pub in a confused state of mind, late at night, but very hungry? Serious question because I do adore a large, very unhealthy doner kebab!

Chris
                                My new website for allotment beginners www.theallotmentshed.co.uk

My Facebook page Please take the the time to "LIKE" https://www.facebook.com/theallotmentshed

Follow on Twitter The Allotment Shed @TASallotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X