No announcement yet.

Mystery steel box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the heaviness of the box indicates that the pop out arms would cradle part of the contents of the box which the bottom of the box would counter-balance,my guess would be medical,probably from the bag of a GP.
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Could it be that it once contained the Oracle...?? Which has been stolen by the Dark Overlords?

... what do you mean this is not the tangentisation thread?

More seriously, could it be for some female type accoutrements...?
      Last edited by Tripmeup; 20-03-2013, 10:11 PM.
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tripmeup View Post
        More seriously, could it be for some female type accoutrements...?
        My mind is boggling But I suspect that I may have lead a sheltered life!

Comment

My guess would be a cigar lighter. A quick google can't find exactly what you describe but something like this might serve the same function

late-Victorian silver double - Miller's Antiques & Collectables Price Guide

The bit on the top shown in the picture could correspond to the "pop-up" bit in your friend's when you open the lid
          Last edited by Plot10; 21-03-2013, 07:51 AM.

Comment

hmmm, sounds like a tinder box to me.. they sometimes contained a candle which it sounds like could have fitted into the 'cigar' groove.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Tinderboxes, flint and steel, tinder, striking light and fire at home
              The question is - who would need an engraved metal tinderbox when MH suggests it may have been a 20th century item?

Comment

Originally posted by KittyColdNose View Post
                Could it be a hand warmer with the charcoal stick being slotted into the two supporting bits?
                I'm thinking along the same lines but I'm a bit thrown by the intricacy of the hinges. We need a pic and when do we need it?? Yups tis now

Comment

Could it be a hand warmer with the charcoal stick being slotted into the two supporting bits?
                  Now that's a very good suggestion, but wouldn't there need to be air holes somewhere to keep it burning when the box is shut? Hmmm....

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Those popup bits are puzzling me - as if I've seen something like that before. Why would they pop up - to present the person opening it with whatever was resting in there - I presume. But would the thing in the box remain in place when the lid was opened and the pop up bits popped? or the reverse, when the box was closed
                  But the box part revealed when you open the lid does not, itself, open, or at least we couldn't see how it would come apart, except for the long narrow lid bit that has a screw to undo, revealing the pencil shaped depression.

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                  I think that the heaviness of the box indicates that the pop out arms would cradle part of the contents of the box which the bottom of the box would counter-balance,my guess would be medical, probably from the bag of a GP.
                  The arms could cradle a big syringe, with the needle over the (I suppose) flame in the pencil shaped depression bit - interesting thought....

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  I'm thinking along the same lines but I'm a bit thrown by the intricacy of the hinges. We need a pic and when do we need it?? Yups tis now
                  Working on it, AP, working on it - won't see her again till weekend, so watch this space!
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

One of the tips to keeping the charcoal going is to open it a couple of times, but they can last anything up to 8hrs
                    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                    If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

When you next see your friend check the box for any details i.e. maker etc as this will surely help.

Don't know about Edwardian hand/foot warmers but modern charcoal ones have no air venting as this would make the charcoal burn to quickly and produce to much heat.

Potty
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Could a tinderbox be something that a survival type would carry into the wilderness? Needn't be an antique? Also, I was wondering if it could have carried detonators or something like that?

Comment

One of the tips to keeping the charcoal going is to open it a couple of times, but they can last anything up to 8hrs
                          I had a hand warmer which took a stick of carbon. Was brilliant when fishing. It was only 3" x 2"x ¼" all approx. Metal box lined with summat probably asbestos and covered in reddish /purplish velvet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X