No announcement yet.

Earth Hour 2013

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I announced this event to the kids at school - one put his hand up and said - we can't do that because 'ms. so and so'(young, ambitious, thrusting newly qualified teacher...) is running the school disco then....one very lovely little jewish boy answered - we never use electricity on Saturdays so perhaps the jews will make up for the people who don't give a stuff!!! love the things kids say.

Comment

You guys using your laptops on battery for the hour - don't forget it takes more power to recharge the battery than to run it straight from the mains.
      Well it does with mine anyway.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I want one of those ^^ for the kids. Here you go guys, charge your appliances as often as you can pedal...

Unfortunately, at £180, they're a bit out of our price range

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplus-Ga...4040658&sr=8-2
        Last edited by SarzWix; 23-03-2013, 11:13 AM.

Comment

yes, I have also told children - using things on battery power does not count.- they have to go read a book or play cards

Comment

All of those unfortunate folk who have power cuts will be joining in too

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post

I want one of those ^^ for the kids. Here you go guys, charge your appliances as often as you can pedal...

Unfortunately, at £180, they're a bit out of our price range

Powerplus Gazelle - Pedal Powered Powerbank Generator: Amazon.co.uk: Lighting
              Less than half that price here Sarz - shame they're out of stock PowerPlus Gazelle charger, Eco Friendly and Energy Saving Products - It Must Be Green

Comment

A reminder - just over 40 minutes until turn-off time

Comment

Hello again! Candles still lit, woodburner doing its stuff and I have aching fingers - and legs and knees!
                  No -not that - I've been playing the harmonium in the dark like something out of the Addams family. Even the dogs had their paws in their ears. It would have helped if I could have read some music but it was too dark - so I had to make something up for an hour Fortunately the neighbours can't hear me
                  Anyone else want to share

Comment

Oh I don't want one of those pedal generators. They have the Snowy Hydro Information centre here about the big water Snowy Hydro works etc. But they have a bike attached to a meter. Lets just say I wouldn't be having toast every morning if I had to pedal for it!
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Would love to share but it wasn't even mentioned here in Ireland.
                      Having said that me and OH spent all day yesterday emptying the kitchen and taking up the floor for the arrival of the new kitchen so we just lay on the sofa in the dark from sheer exhaustion.
                      Nothing more exciting to report i'm afraid.

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I received an invite to go round to a friend's house that evening to play board games. Being an Aberdonian on the make, I immediately realised that I could switch everything off in my house, go out, and "do my bit" without any inconvenience...
                        Then when I got there, after ten minutes they switched everything off - TV, lights, laptops, aquarium, the lot. I was in probably the only other house in the whole village that even knew about Earth Hour...
                        So while I thought longingly of my numerous torches and light sticks at home, we spun handles on our torches furiously ("Oh, yours is solar powered !" "Really - where's the switch ?" "No, sorry, it's just a wind-up" ), and the five year-old insisted on not just hand shadow puppets, but feet shadow puppets, and then we drooled over the torches between our teeth as we set up the Settler tile game (in the original German) and by the time we had done that slow as treacle on a frosty morn, the hour was over.
                        I say again: tealights are a waste of money if you want light !
                        Last edited by snohare; 25-03-2013, 10:31 AM. Reason: the tyranny of typo's
                        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

LOL@Snohare

We forgot all about it but as (bad) luck would have it, we were out every night last week anyway.
                          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are there any global pictures comparing a 'before and during' event?

I've seen some city ones ( and noticed how not much else in the locality of say Eiffel Tower/Big Ben seemed to be turned off)
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Are there any global pictures comparing a 'before and during' event?
                              No, I gather no-one found their camera...
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

I've had a look but can't find much. Last year, I'm sure there was a video of the world being plunged into darkness. Maybe it will appear soon?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X