28 years ago today

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28 years ago today

I realise that this is a gardening forum, however...

28 years ago today, I saw the most disturbing images on tv that I hope I will ever see.

I did not know any of the 56 people who died at Valley Parade, nor do I have any link to the club, but for some reason, I cannot stop thinking about them and the families that they left behind.

As one football fan to many others, may you rest in peace.
    Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

It was pretty horrific and scenes like that are imprinted on us. I still think of the tv footage of the Aberfan disaster and I was still in school myself at the time. Good does come out of these horrific events though. Sports stadium safety standards are hugely improved and industrial slag heaps are much more regulated as well.

Comment

I think we are lucky in some ways to have grown up when TV/phots really had that impact on us and made us want not to see things like that again. I really beleive from what I see of my pupils that many of them are overloaded with visual images and that these images don't make a lasting impact in the same way. My children were brought up without a TV until they started accessing stuff on the internet. I look at them and compare them to their friends (who are really great for the most part), I think it has made a difference to them going into adulthood.

Aberfan, yes probably the first TV disaster I remember. Am I right in thinking one boy/girl wasn't in school? I think that's when it really hit me.
      Last edited by marchogaeth; 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Know exactly what you mean OITC, very sad. I think I posted the Bradford Disaster in this thread.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ine_69116.html
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My husband was at that match but thankfully got out ok but we knew lots of affected families who were not so lucky. What a dreadful time it was. He had gone to the match with our neighbour and as usual I was baking in the kitchen and just about to switch the radio on for the results (so that I would know what mood he would be in). Then he rushed through the door, too early for the match to have ended and turned the TV on. As the reports came in we could hear the sirens and the ambulances as came to our local hospital. 28 years ago and it seems like only yesterday but Bradford City have tried hard to recover, we have been to Wembley once this year and off we go again this weekend. God Bless all those who will not be with us, rest in peace dear friends.

Comment

Remember it well, was on a school geography field trip at the time and had no connection with anybody there but it really hit me. I now know quite a few people from Bradford and it's still raw to some of them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ironic but 56 died at Bradford City and 70 years ago 56 died on the Dambuster's raid. What a wonder ful tribute show last night, we owe those wonderful young men such a debt.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X