Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow loading pages, headaches with flashing adverts... am I the only one?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to find out how big the download is, and then I'll try it out.. but given our 3gb per month limit, I don't want to exceed that and end up having to pay another 15 euros for one more gb. It may have to wait until we go back to the UK in Jan or Feb next year .

I do clear out my laptop when it needs it TS, but it was only reinstalled a few weeks ago with nothing on it afterwards except Office and a web browser. I have masses of hard disc space, and plenty of memory, so 'in theory' I shouldn't be having problems. But hey, it's an old machine, and old things get cranky. I speak from experience .
    sigpicGardening in France rocks!

Comment

Is it my imagination or has the scrolling subscriber's offer stopped scrolling? Only appears now if you click on the tab?
      If it has been sorted - many thanks to Admin and the Mods
      Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-08-2013, 08:49 AM. Reason: pyto

Comment

You're right TS! And isn't it sooooo much better?? Apart from anything else,when you click on the link now you can see a much bigger advert - more info, easier to read. And the lack of scrolling makes it much more pleasant on the page . So from me too, a big thanks to everyone who's done this. Now just the side bars to fix .

Comment

I don't have a problem with slow loading page whilst at home with a fast connection on a good laptop, but if I go away and stay in the countryside with slow speeds I don't even bother to try.
          One day site owners and advertisers will realise that not everyone has the most up-to-date computers nor superfast broadband.
          Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by arpoet View Post
            I don't have a problem with slow loading page whilst at home with a fast connection on a good laptop, but if I go away and stay in the countryside with slow speeds I don't even bother to try.
            One day site owners and advertisers will realise that not everyone has the most up-to-date computers nor superfast broadband.
            Well as someone who's moved from Leeds with a nice fast unlimited broadband connection, and who used to work with lots of 'disadvantaged' people who didn't know how to use a computer, and often only had rubbish old kit and/or didn't have any internet access at home, I'm finding it all quite challenging learning how the 'other half' 'really' lives! Lol . However, I wouldn't swop the lifestyle we have here for anything, I love the countryside, and couldn't afford anywhere in the UK with a little stone cottage and 3/4 acre of land to grow veg and play with chickens and not have to listen to all that noise pollution, and be able to see the stars at night because there are no city lights to get in the way... But I agree with you arpoet - I can confirm from experience that there are many, many people who struggle to use the internet effectively and enjoyably often because of over-demanding websites which assume we all have the newest, biggest and best of everything, and also because there doesn't seem to be any real awareness of the effect of constantly moving images or text on one's ability to concentrate and focus on the core content, or of the nagging eye strain and headaches (or worse) that can result from them. Or indeed of the ability of the visually impaired to access a page distorted by 'clever' features.

Anyway, enough! I promised myself I wouldn't say any more about it, and now I'm off on another rant. *Zip*

Comment

Originally posted by kathyd View Post
              But hey, it's an old machine, and old things get cranky. I speak from experience .
              If it's an old machine it will probably appreciate Chrome. I had lots of wrinkles to iron out before it would run for me for some reason but it's been well worth it.
              "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
                If it's an old machine it will probably appreciate Chrome. I had lots of wrinkles to iron out before it would run for me for some reason but it's been well worth it.
                Well maybe I'll try it next year as I say, when I go back to the UK for a visit . On the other hand, I've also been advised that Firefox may be a better bet, and I'm more familiar with Firefox so I may go back to using that instead, along with adblockplus. In the meantime, my OH has gone into my Tools menu and tweaked the Manage Add Ons / Tracking Protection to enable something called Easylist, and so far it seems to be stopping external adverts from showing up in here... whether it'll be noticeably quicker to use I don't know yet, but it's wonderful not having things moving all over the place! Apparently Easylist is what adblockplus uses too, so it bodes well at the moment .

Comment

If you want a good connection to download stuff, you don't have to wait until you go to England, pop over to Binic!

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                    If you want a good connection to download stuff, you don't have to wait until you go to England, pop over to Binic!
                    That's really kind of you, thank you! May even take you up on it at some point - if I ever manage to drag OH out for a day at the seaside for example.. only been waiting 2 years . Seriously - do you have any dog-friendly beaches over your way? Where I might be able to nab some seaweed and shells without being thrown in jail?

Comment

Binic has no dog-friendly beaches. It does make me cross. There used to be one end of a long beach for dogs that was regularly washed by the tides but even that's closed to dogs now. I'll ask about!

Comment

I found some lists on the net - at least this one has some phone n°s so you can check. It's such a shame. I'm almost glad we no longer have a dog as I loved taking mine to the beach.
                        Plages autorises aux chiens en France
                        CÔTES D'ARMOR (22)
                        Louannec 02.96.23.20.63 St Jacut 02.96.27.71.15
                        St Michel en Grève 02.96.35.74.41 Erquy 02.96.63.52.40
                        Etables 02.96.70.64.18 Frehel les sables d'or 02.96.41.40.12
                        Plérin 02.96.79.82.00 Plestin les grèves 02.96.35.62.29
                        Saint Cast 02.96.41.80.18 St Quay Portrieux 02.96.70.80.80
                        Trégastel 02.96.15.38.00

Comment

Originally posted by Patchninja View Post
                          I found some lists on the net - at least this one has some phone n°s so you can check. It's such a shame. I'm almost glad we no longer have a dog as I loved taking mine to the beach.
                          Plages autorises aux chiens en France
                          CÔTES D'ARMOR (22)
                          Louannec 02.96.23.20.63 St Jacut 02.96.27.71.15
                          St Michel en Grève 02.96.35.74.41 Erquy 02.96.63.52.40
                          Etables 02.96.70.64.18 Frehel les sables d'or 02.96.41.40.12
                          Plérin 02.96.79.82.00 Plestin les grèves 02.96.35.62.29
                          Saint Cast 02.96.41.80.18 St Quay Portrieux 02.96.70.80.80
                          Trégastel 02.96.15.38.00
                          Thanks, that's really useful

Comment

the scrolling advert is back
                            I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                            sigpic

Comment

Yes it is

Not the sort of comment to like - so I agree instead

Comment

Not for me - only if I click on the link.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X