Tom Tato?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Tato?

have you seen the new Thompson and morgan plant the Tom Tato.

sweet cherry tomato's on the top and a crop of potato's underneath.

it's not All fools day either.

me you tube link died i'll try again soon
    this will be a battle from the heart
    cymru am byth

I've seen it it's cool but doubt I will buy one!

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
    In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

i like the general idea..... while you harvest the tomato the potato grows on underground. what if you need potato's does the whole plant die.
      is it good value
      approx 25 cherry toms to a punnet in super market at a £1 approx 500 from plant =£20 plus say max 2kg pots £5 return of £25 to £30 on a £15 outlay not VFM for me.

WHAT ABOUT BLIGHT?......................
      this will be a battle from the heart
      cymru am byth

Comment

I saw that the other day and wondered how you'd manage to harvest your potatoes before the toms, I know you could have a furtle but that would make the plant unstable. Not that I'm thinking of paying £14-99 for the plant.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm not thinking of buying these either.
          But next year I might try grafting my favourite tomato onto my prefered potato.
          Just to see the problems doubling up the crop.
          "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

So if you collect the seeds from the tomato will it grow potatoes? or will it revert back to being a tomato as its grafted.

My only concerns are 1, I can't really grow tomatoes outdoors so how would the potatoes do in the greenhouse, 2, At what point do you harvest the potatoes after the toms have stopped cropping? 3, How likely is it the potatoes will be whole and minus holes by the time you dig them up.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I got this email too. I was excited at first but it doesn't work money wise for me.
              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by phil the shed View Post
                WHAT ABOUT BLIGHT?......................
                Its a bit like D&V - it comes out both ends

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                  So if you collect the seeds from the tomato will it grow potatoes? or will it revert back to being a tomato as its grafted.

My only concerns are 1, I can't really grow tomatoes outdoors so how would the potatoes do in the greenhouse, 2, At what point do you harvest the potatoes after the toms have stopped cropping? 3, How likely is it the potatoes will be whole and minus holes by the time you dig them up.
                  Have a look at the video Thompson & Morgan's TomTato and laugh

Comment

My main thought was why would anybody in their right mind spend that much on one plant, especially when I consider some of the poor quality plants I've had from T&M in the past.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

It's a money making gimmick. I wonder how many newbies will be caught.

Comment

For someone new to gardening I guess it makes sense - two crops in one plants - but given that one is best grown in a greenhouse and the other is better outdoors, I don't see this as anything more than a value added marketing scheme.
                        "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

I saw the bbc article and it got me really wondering what the benefit actually would be.
                          If your growing them indoors they would need a lot of water; tomatoes and potatoes get thirsty at the best of times. Growing times would be interesting as well, I've still got tomato plants cropping well which I planted April time. The potatoes I put in around the same time have been eaten and replaced a month or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeDaStudd View Post
                            I've still got tomato plants cropping well which I planted April time. The potatoes I put in around the same time have been eaten and replaced a month or so ago.
                            You did well, it was well into May this year before I felt confident there wasn't going to be anymore frosts to put mine in.
                            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Beginning to get worried it may lash you across the eyes rendering you blind as you work in the greenhouse !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X