How friendly is your allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How friendly is your allotment

Before I obtained my plot, I'd read about how much camaraderie and friendliness there is to be had amongst allotmenteers.

However, since I started on my plot hardly anyone has actually spoken to me until I have approached them. I've had the odd "hello" and such, but nothing more. The one exception is a couple that took on a plot around the same time I did who introduced themselves to me straight away, but I haven't seen much of them for a while.

I have had a few conversations with my immediate neighbours, but generally people are keeping themselves to themselves.

Am I on a particularly snooty allotment?
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Sounds the same as our site - immediate neighbours have had a brief chat (if spoken to first), but the communications from the committee people have been very very brief - showed me the plot, took the money, gave me the rules.... Not much more than a 'good morning' since then! Although to be fair, I think a lot of the activity probably goes on at the wknd and I tend to be there in the week when the kids are at school, and whoever is there then is working hard!
    I plan to just keep talking to people, if they decide to chat that's great, if not, hey ho, I've got 3 kids so no 'chat' is a bonus really!

Comment

My experience is that plot holders will leave you to it, and its down to you to seek advice, introduce yourself, even prove yourself. The best thing to do is offer around a few spare seedlings, once you do that everyone wll be offering, swapping and giving you advice.

Comment

Tis true that it seems to be speak when spoken to ... however I never was one to wait ... hell could freeze over first!!

Agree with Ian about the swapping plants bit ... does help to melt the ice ;o)
        Gulp ... I loved my vegetable garden, so here is my sad ballad:
        I nutured it for months and ate it in one salad. - Arnotd Zarett

Comment

Everyones very friendly on the site I'm at! They are always popping around or inviting you for a cuppa! Sometimes I go to the allotment with the intention of actually getting some work done, but come away after having a few cups of tea and a natter!

Still what the heck, it's not supposed to be nose down and arse up all the time!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Generally speaking, the members at our plot are pretty good, reasonably friendly and generous. There are one or two exceptions, but this holds in life anyway, doesn't it? However there is one person who could bore for Britain and get gold. Still, all in all, I thoroughly enjoy my plot, and like the people down there.

Zebedee
            "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

Everyone at my site seems really friendly but its been down to me to make the first move. I've only been there a month so lots of new people to meet and when I see someone I wander over. Now I find others approaching me more often. Like so many things make of it what you want of it. Persevere with a friendly nature, go out of your way to say hello, help other when you can it it will come back to you. The vast majority of allotmenteers must be a happy-go-lucky bunch otherwise they wouldn't be there!!
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi

I find most people very friendly, but it does depend on how often you are there.
                And if you are a distance away you may just get an hello.
                I dont like refusing when people offer you plants, but if I didnt refuse I would have planted it twice over.
                But only been offered one cup of tea so far.

Tigerella

Comment

The tip is to make sure that your stuff is better than theres then they all want to know how it is done they never believe you when you tell them .
                  We tell new plot holders imformation if free come and ask but they are either to stubborn or they are full of crazy ideas but not many of them work.
                  Jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Some go for peace and quiet to get away from it all to switch off for a couple of hours - they will want to be left alone.
                    Some have nothing else they may be retired and have all day to spend nowhere to go etc and will treat it like home.
                    Some will be lonely and will be looking for company -you'll find them easily enough.
                    Some will regard you as an outsider and until you prove yourself to their rules you wont get a look in.
                    Once you figure them all out you will know but in the mean time give them all a smile and say hello - even if they dont answer back.
                    And remember theres nowt as queer as folk
                    There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

It's not just allotments - these days lots of people are a bit scared of making the first move. What I do is shout a brief hello to anyone I see on the lottie whilst making my way to my plot. They can either ignore me, shout hello back, or get into a conversation. Someone has to make the first move, be brave and do it.

Comment

My site seems to be one of the better ones from what has been said so far. Most of the old boys I've come across have been only to ready to give advice and say hello and chat, and I do feel that's probably the reason half of them go in the first place! As much of a social event as anything else.

Most of the younger ones are also friendly, though I have met a couple that seem to have a bit of a stick up their backside!
                        Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                        I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                          My site seems to be one of the better ones from what has been said so far. Most of the old boys I've come across have been only to ready to give advice and say hello and chat, and I do feel that's probably the reason half of them go in the first place! As much of a social event as anything else.

Most of the younger ones are also friendly, though I have met a couple that seem to have a bit of a stick up their backside!
                          Hi Doctor....there is a rumour that you and Mr Gummidge are one and the same, is this correct???
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nope...nope and er.....nope.

I am me, and this is the only username I have on this forum. Never found the need for more than one on any forum, though I do use a different one on the model helicopter forums I post in.

Thanks for the secret suspicions though! Didn't realise there was a pm rumour factory here. Maybe I should go back to just reading, instead of posting.
                            Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                            I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                              Thanks for the secret suspicions though! Didn't realise there was a pm rumour factory here. Maybe I should go back to just reading, instead of posting.
                              Don't go back to being a silent 'lurker' - stay and chat!

Suspect that Snadge is referring to the Jon Pertwee connection - which I 'got' because I am of an age where I remember childrens TV in the 70's!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X