X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I saying Bren, no more!
    DottyR

Comment

• Dorothy the tomato, apple with added chilli and ginger chutney sounds delicious. How much chilli and ginger would you add to say 500g of toms?

Can anyone recommend a recipe?
      Last edited by Jay22; 19-09-2014, 04:33 PM. Reason: Adding question.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
        What am I saying Bren, no more!
        I 'think' all I need to make now is a few more jars of Indian Apple chutney then I've done.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
          Dorothy the tomato, apple with added chilli and ginger chutney sounds delicious. How much chilli and ginger would you add to say 500g of toms?

Can anyone recommend a recipe?
          Jay, it was based very 'loosely' on a recipe in old 'Good Housingkeeping' recipe book.

I used about 5 lbs tomatoes, lots of 'split ones' ( recipes said 2lbs but skin them ) I didn't just chopped them, 2 lbs cooking apples, 1lb onions, 8 oz dried fruit, 1.5 pints malt vinegar, (whole bottle ), 3 tea salt, about 5/6 garlic gloves, 1 red, 1 green chilli I, ( I removed seeds), 12 oz brown sugar, 2/3 largish pieces ginger, ( I just chopped v finely) ., and some dried mustard.

Simmered until thick and well reduced,about hour and half?

This has made 7 large jars, it's on the sweetish side, but is also quite warming, cos of chilli, very good flavour and gorgeous colour.

( there are a number 'online'), just type in tomato and apple chutney.
          Last edited by Dorothy rouse; 19-09-2014, 05:15 PM.
          DottyR

Comment

• Good Evening Everybody

I hope you are all in good health and that you are all looking forward to the weekend ( including those who have permanent weekends!)

Popped over the plot on the way home a read the runners their last rites before despatching them with the secateurs, will shread and compost them tomorrow. Onion sets and garlic going in tomorrow and time to give the brasicas a little pick me up.

hope you all have a nice relaxing evening......time for a little drink now

Comment

• Well all the rain finally arrived with us today..
              Incessant I tells ya, incessant..
              Although not as bad as Scarlet's area by the sound and sights of it

Just got another chuckle from 5 year old daughter.... We are watching the Lone Ranger movie and we were saying they were cruel putting Tonto in jail..."Yes" says she," Indians are nice, they make food for us and all that"
              I swear we don't eat that many take aways
              Last edited by Tripmeup; 19-09-2014, 07:13 PM.
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

• ^^^ kids will get you hung trip

Comment

• Evening all!

So I have done the shopping at Tesc's with mum, have fed the Next-door's tabby supper and put her to bed; fed Domino his (second) supper, and am resisting his pleas for more (I wouldn't mind, but he's only eaten the nice bits out the bowl - thinks he can moan and I'll open a new pouch. Hmm).

Now I have a - uh - beaker of wine on the go, and I'm about to buzz off to get ready to go out.

Must wash my hair - it's looked a bit odd(er than usual) all day. . My colleague put her finger on who I resemble - Bjorn Borg in his 70's heyday. If I can't improve matters, I may have to borrow Bren's pot.

Comment

• Thank you Dorothy...going to get the ingredients over the weekend and have a bash!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                      Thank you Dorothy...going to get the ingredients over the weekend and have a bash!
                      As long as you let it simmer for a long time, until really thick, it'll be fine. Enjoy yourself.
                      DottyR

Comment

• Morning all!

Another sunny day ahead here...just brill for getting stuck into gardening.
                        Yesterday my OH managed to collect a large bucketful of hazelnuts from the base of our tree.
                        All nice and dry for a change!

I'm a happy bunny cos yesterday I bought loads of packets of daffodil and narcissi bulbs from Lidl.
                        Some for the new border, and the Tête a têtes for window boxes.
                        We're going to have a very colourful Spring!

Having said that....at the moment our red geraniums are looking absolutely stonking!
                        Last edited by Nicos; 20-09-2014, 07:01 AM.
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Thought for today...what do a YOU do?

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning all! just on my way to my interview. Will let you all know how I got on later. Never been to an interview that is going to last 4hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
                            Carrie

Comment

• Good luck, Cariann. Come back and tell you've got the job and we'll make you a "cake"

Morning All. 'Tis a bit grey but dry. I have a feeling that my day will revolve around decking boards - very naily ones

Nicos, I tend to forget there's bread in the toaster until I smell burning, then hunt around for some way to extract the toast that is stuck and wont pop-up.

Oh, and my smileys have moved again.............

Comment

• Morning

Not at work today but no real plans apart from having a look around the local market.

All the best with your interview Carrie, hope those 4 hours fly by.

Nicos we have to stare at our toaster it has problems, sometimes it only toasts one side other times it burns the crust, should really get rid of it but up to yet we've not found one that works how it should.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X