Rubbish Disposal

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubbish Disposal

I don't think that consumers should be the ones to suffer for something that they have no control over. Whatever we buy comes shrink wrapped, blister packed, has no end of packaging as in the case of a mans shirt etc. etc.
    I think that the perfect answer would be to fine manufacturers, supermarkets and all outlets that use unnecessary packaging. The other plus to this is that instead of having to buy a blister pack with four of something in, when you only want one, you can actually but one!!

Hello GG and welcome to the vine. When OH and myself have paid for packaged fruit and veg, we remove it, put the produce in their carrier bags and give the supermarket their packaging back. We fail to see why WE should get rid of it for them.
    Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Originally posted by going 'green' View Post
      I don't think that consumers should be the ones to suffer for something that they have no control over. Whatever we buy comes shrink wrapped, blister packed, has no end of packaging as in the case of a mans shirt etc. etc.
      I think that the perfect answer would be to fine manufacturers, supermarkets and all outlets that use unnecessary packaging. The other plus to this is that instead of having to buy a blister pack with four of something in, when you only want one, you can actually but one!!
      Hold on, hold on, you do have control over what you buy! You CAN buy loose veg by the pound/kilo, shirts can be bought off the rack. Unwanted packaging costs money to the retailer and would you still have bought the item if it hadn't been displayed appropriately?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

When it comes to payment for things that I have bought (ie tools ,shoes,clothes,white goods etc) I allways request that all packaging etc is removed.I only once had a salesperson say that I had to take it the way it was and they were prompty told to keep it.When they realised that I was serious and had asked to speak to the owner of the shop a quick rethink of policy followed.
        I understand your hatred of unnecessary packaging but would you buy a shirt that had been shipped from say China loose in a forty foot container.If your honest you want a new shiney clean shirt and without a certain amount of plastic etc you are not going to get that.
        I'm not saying that retailers could do without packaging but a certain amount is needed to get the goods to the shop and to keep them in a resonable condition until they get there.
        There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

And further to my previous post , when your buying something (tools ,shoes etc ) ask to see the item unwraped that you want to try it on ,check for damage etc . That way it has to be unwraped and its much easier to leave the packaging in the shop as the sales person normally wont want to rewrap it all.
          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by going 'green' View Post
            The other plus to this is that instead of having to buy a blister pack with four of something in, when you only want one, you can actually but one!!
            Thats why is it blister packed. Go to the DIY mega stores and you will find stuff like raw bolts in packs of 10.......I find I want either 2, 4, 8 or 12. So they have you. If you want 2 you have to have 10 if you want 12 you ahve to have 20.

I now use the old fashioned hardware store....yep we still have one O'Reilies Strange how the years change... I was sure when I was a boy he was an Ulsterman but he has grown old into a Pakistani but he is still O'Reilie and if you want a raw bolt you can have one or two or how ever may you want. He also knows what they are for and they are cheaper.

Ok you cant now park out-side but you don't have to queue for hours.
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

we know of some one who is a very astute businessman apart from re developing the local economy he has developed a biodegradable packaging company using potato starch,

Comment

If it wasn't for M&S I'd have far fewer seed trays
                You are a child of the universe,
                no less than the trees and the stars;
                you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

dont take the packaging home, its the only way the supermarkets etc will learn we really do want goods in minimal packaging if any, they have to pay for waste removal so if everyone did it they would soon learn.
                  Yo an' Bob
                  Walk lightly on the earth
                  take only what you need
                  give all you can
                  and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Hello GG and welcome to the vine! Good point made! What makes me cross is that, despite my best efforts when buying goods, I still have some waste that cannot be recycled (I use meat/veg trays etc in the greenhouse etc etc) but we have those spy things in our wheelie bins - no doubt the council wil start charging us pretty soon to collect our waste. What really gets me mad is that our council only recycles plastic bottles and the like - not any other plastic containers, despite the fact that they are recyclable! When the council gets its act together then we can all work together to make the world a greener place!
                    Ooops - sorry rant over!
                    Bernie
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Here we have kerbside recycling for garden (not kitchen) waste, paper (but not cardboard) and glass only. I can take plastic bottles but no other plastic and old clothing to the recycling bank. I get annoyed when the bin comes back with a "xx% of waste is recyclable" sticker on when the facilities are not fully available!
                      You are a child of the universe,
                      no less than the trees and the stars;
                      you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

DDL, rant away. please. When it comes to councils making an additional charge for 'extra' rubbish thrown away, that is not recyclable, it makes my blood boil.

I admit we have a very good recycling system here in Staffordshire Moorlands, we can recycle newspapers, junk mail, envelopes in a bag. We have a wheelie bin into which we put plastic bottles, drink and food cans and glass bottles/jars. We have a brown wheelie bin into which we can put garden waste including food waste, and cardboard.

All other non-recyclable waste is put in another wheelie bin.

I am happy to comply with the recycling efforts of the Council.

BUT, and this is a very big BUT, if the Council should dare to inflict an additional charge to dispose of non-recyclable rubbish, they will have one hell of a challenge from me.

There are a lot of people out here (me included) who, the only benefit they get from their extotionate Council Tax is the removal of their rubbish.

If they think they are going to charge me extra, over and above the extortionate council tax for non-recyclable rubbish, fly tipping here I come!!

valmarg

Comment

Valmarg, count yourself lucky, we have tried and tried to get green bins from counsil, (who wont do glass just tins and milk ) but to no avail, we have to do it ourselves, then at the election some councilors posted things through our door about being against fortnightly collections, makes me mad! if they took our recyclables I would be happy for this to happen, we leave all unessasary packaging at the supermarket, compost and bottle and clothes bank everything, like to see them try to charge me!
                          Yo an' Bob
                          Walk lightly on the earth
                          take only what you need
                          give all you can
                          and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

The debate on fortnightly collections makes me smile.

Whilst on hoilday in Brittany (St Briac) at a friends pad we were informed to put all of our recycling in the bins provided in a special recycling area of the village (every commune in Franch has one) and that everything else should go into the dustbin which is emptied every MONDAY and FRIDAY.

Oh and the local equilavent to council tax is £192 a year.

Comment

What is (currently) annoying me is that Mr Sainsburys use a lot of compostable packaging on their organic stuff (fruit & veg only , I think) - stuff that looks like cellophane but actually breaks down (I imagine it to be a bit like gelatine sheets) BUT, there's no sign of this being used on any other goods. So, once again, the consumer PAYS extra to be that bit greener. I read in their magazine the other day that they hope to increase the amount of compostable packaging used, but, once again, they only mentioned the organic stuff!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X