Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excess packaging

are supermarkets taking the P*ss??

I kno wthat there have been several threads about this already but just had to pass this on.

just came back from shopping trip to morrisons and in the veg section I spotted vacuum packed sweetcorn which was then placed in a heat sealed clear plastic box.

i just stood there astounded at this and spotted the veg manager walking past, made sarcastic comment (as you do) and his reply was that it was to maintain freshness!!

i then walked away laughing
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

Personally I wounldn't buy sweet corn at this time of year anyway, what ever the packaging. It's not in season round here therefore has been picked for far too long to have the lovely fresh taste it should have.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

YES the packaging is ridiculous and I can't cope. I went to replace the batteries in my digital camera. They were in a box that I needed a knife to get in to, then they were in some shrink wrapped plastic that I needed a knife to get in to. WHY ?????????????

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

To keep you safe from those mentally unbalanced souls who reckon to put glass in the cereal and poison in the tea.
        The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Personally I wounldn't buy sweet corn at this time of year anyway, what ever the packaging. It's not in season round here therefore has been picked for far too long to have the lovely fresh taste it should have.
          Madmax here - best packaging I ever had around sweetcorn was in Brazil. On the beach when they were cooked fresh. In their leaves. 1973 that was!

Regarding synthetic packaging - it should all be returned to the supermarkets and as they package it, they should deal with it.

And those mentally unbalanced souls who place 'additives' in the food, that is an issue for Patricia Hewitt to solve.

Off now to scoff the handfull of Alpine Strawbs that came from the garden 2 minutes ago. All in natures packaging.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
            To keep you safe from those mentally unbalanced souls who reckon to put glass in the cereal and poison in the tea.
            and glass in the batteries...?

I reckon it's to make more money for packaging manufacturers and oil companies. You probably pay a third more for veg that is shrink-wrapped rather than loose. I've never yet found glass in my bananas...
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Do what we do - Take your own bags (so you don't need to use plastic carriers). Pay for your produce, then remove the packaging you don't need and leave it for them to dispose of. It costs them money to get their rubbish taken away - they may get the message if enough of us leave it with them.

Comment

I remove all the packaging I don't want, really irritates them but what the hey. I tend to use the paper sacks that mushrooms come in - this really annoys them as you have to point out that they do contain mushrooms. Of course, I draw the line at putting ice cream in a papersack but really what is the desperate need to isolate all vegetables and fruit in plastic? Come on, if enough of us say no to plastic, then maybe they will actually turn back the clocks and have proper greengrocers in Asda, or Morrisons or Sainsburys or any of the evil, faceless shops that pervade this land.
                Best wishes
                Andrewo
                Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Originally posted by andrewo View Post
                  I remove all the packaging I don't want, really irritates them but what the hey. I tend to use the paper sacks that mushrooms come in - this really annoys them as you have to point out that they do contain mushrooms. Of course, I draw the line at putting ice cream in a papersack but really what is the desperate need to isolate all vegetables and fruit in plastic? Come on, if enough of us say no to plastic, then maybe they will actually turn back the clocks and have proper greengrocers in Asda, or Morrisons or Sainsburys or any of the evil, faceless shops that pervade this land.
                  Was actually wondering if it was worth emailing the supermarkets and requesting that they supply paper bags to put the loose veg in (sorry, mine aren't ready to eat yet) so that the packaging can be recycled. Guess if we all did it there might be some notice taken.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Good idea that Shirl! Recycling the bags into compost is a much greener idea, and producing paper sacks has got to be better for the environment than plastic ones too!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                      Good idea that Shirl! Recycling the bags into compost is a much greener idea, and producing paper sacks has got to be better for the environment than plastic ones too!
                      In America, the person who packs your shopping for you asks if you would like paper sacks or plastic bags. Then they wheel the trolley to the car park and load the groceries into the car for you - civilised lot over there
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                        In America, the person who packs your shopping for you asks if you would like paper sacks or plastic bags. Then they wheel the trolley to the car park and load the groceries into the car for you - civilised lot over there
                        And all from the home of Kentucky Fried chicken and that Scottish American chap who sells burgers!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use my own bags too where ever I shop.I get a lot of funny looks, a few positive remarks. And in my 2 fave shops Lush and Soundbytes (Local veg). they are completely happy with it. The only fresh produce i get from the supermarket is bananas but even that is rare so I dont think i can make much of a point of leaving the packaging there. I still might though,every little helps and all that

Comment

Best idea is to reduce your use of supermarkets; plan your crops to optimise you harvests and then preserve what you can. An allotment can supply most of your needs and it pays to be generous when you are doing well because, often we find lottie folk pay it back when times are lean for us. If we do run out-we source spuds by the sack(which we can always share) and spend a bit more to visit a greengrocer with paper bags, local produce and a nice smile. If we were on a tight budget i'd try a (farmer's) market.

Comment

Are you sure that paper bags are more ecologically sound than plastic ones?
                              Bare in mind that they are heavier and have higher transport costs that increases the carbon dioxide signature and other transport pollution.
                              They still require chemical processing to produce.
                              They also require more trees to be cut down, which has implications on forestry management and such ecosystems. For example, if a paper shortage arises we could see hardwood forests being converted to softwood ones that don't support the same amount of wildlife, firstly due to the nature of their species and secondly due to methods such as short rotation harvesting.

This is just a suggestion and I would like some hard evidence before I convert to a plastic-free attitude.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X