Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article on comparing organic farming and traditional farming.

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dim View Post
    LOL .... then stick with miracle gro

no-one is forcing you to change your prefered method of growing

just telling you what works for me (and many others)including Harvard university who have studied it extensively:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlcX2WpnQWI

What's wrong with Miracle Gro? Please tell.
    Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 01-08-2014, 03:21 PM.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      Personally I don't use it as I think it's expensive for general use and not that specific for crop use but I'm not going to get snobby about it, there are FAR worse things great people can and are using.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I laugh because I give all the links to important information pertaining to this thread, yet some people just keep on posting for the sake of arguing .... some of the links have videos that are several minutes long, yet negative responses are posted seconds after I have posted the links

I suppose you cannot teach old dogs new tricks ....
        The links relating to BRIX are commercial sites with something to peddle. The other two links are just general information not supporting your argument.

Comment

you need a brix meter to compare the brix values of organic versus traditional farming.... organic always scores higher

here is the brix chart:
          http://www.highbrixgardens.com/pdf/brix-chart.pdf

many top chefs in the USA now take a brix meter to markets to check the quality of the vegetables on offer
          There have been many scientific studies of organic produce and there is no clear indication that organic means healthier food. That does not stop some of us adopting organic principles for sound reasons. You need to take the above link with a pinch of salt (produced from non polluted sea water) as it is a commercial site with a clear bias. In the same fashion I do not take claims by Monsanto et al at face value.

Comment

I suspect it is fine, but I prefer things like blood, fish and bone, as they are slower release with less danger of overfeeding . Of course I may be mistaken, those who use it may be able to explain benefits.

Comment

It was a 'tongue in cheek' question for DIM actually. I use it all the time and have done for years mainly for its high nitrogen value for green growth and being idle I find it very easy to use. I use other fertilisers to, not much choice when you grow entirely in containers.

As to over feeding I have never managed to produce an obese plant yet. Though of course you can feed to much of the wrong NPK and get poor fruiting and lots of foliage.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ButternutSquash View Post
                I suspect it is fine, but I prefer things like blood, fish and bone, as they are slower release with less danger of overfeedin

g . Of course I may be mistaken, those who use it may be able to explain benefits.
                bone meal = bad

I was told by an old gardener who had an allotment never to use bone meal as it's bad

I researched and after much discussion on ******* forums', I now agree ... (I dont grow ***** but read their forums as many there are pretty clued up as they have 'cash crops' and try most things on the market

I always used to include a handful of fish/blood/bone in my planting holes

here is an article by Linda Chalker Scott (I also take (some) of what she says with a 'pinch of salt' but this is a good article and after research, I agree:

http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%20cha...s/Bonemeal.pdf

I always include rootgrow in my planting holes for shrubs and perennials
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 01-08-2014, 09:21 PM. Reason: Not acceptable

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                  I prefer a chef who can tell the quality of the produce he buys by look, feel and taste.
                  My mate is a chef and in addition to Mothhawk's comments he always smells before he decides as well. I try to be as natural as possible but got absolutely nothing to do with being organic. I have no idea what has been added to the soil by past holders of my plot

Comment

Definition of Miracle-Gro®

lots more on the internet ... google is your friend

Comment

You should see the locals at Market here choosing fruit...everything gets sniffed to see if it's ripe.
                      You don't see anyone other than tourists shoving their thumbs hard into fruit to see how ripe/ soft it is.
                      Sad really we seem to be losing the natural ability to work out what is edible!
                      Last edited by Nicos; 01-08-2014, 09:16 PM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

#37 That's a bit selective isn't it. If anyone writes something you agree with their right, but if you don't agree you can take their work with a 'pinch of salt'.

Blood, fish and bone is not at all the same as pure bone meal.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

#39. It can't and won't do any damage to my soil I can assure you. All it does for me is give me increased yields.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm finding the frequent references to C****bis inappropriate on this forum.
                            Last edited by veggiechicken; 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM. Reason: edited unacceptable word
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                            -----------------------------------------------------------
                            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Agreed

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I think this thread has outrun it's usefulness & is now closed
                                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X