eBay warning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay warning

just a moan and groan really. It saddens me that there are so many people out there wanting to turn you over and make a quick buck.
    I buy and sell a little bit on eBay, not much only a couple of items a week, I don't make more than 70p a week from it...yet there are an increasing number of people on eBay trying to rip you off..."I didn't receive it", "you said you'd send 2 items and only one arrived", "the item is lost/damaged" that kind of thing.
    Once I offer up a Proof of Posting the complainants shut up. It's just sad that people have to try it on, you know? Because when it works, eBay is just fantastic
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

I got a couple of negative feedbacks from ebayers after I complained about their shoddy service / misrepresented goods. But overall it is a useful tool.
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

ebay used to be great but then it got too popular. Nowadays there's very few bargains left and it seems to provoke lots of hassle.

I've got a couple of negatives too from complete tools.

Comment

It's such a shame. 90% of the people I deal with, no make that 98%, are really really good, but the 2% can put you off using eBay completely. I've just had an email from some idiot looking for a fight "are you calling me a liar?", well yes actually - but I'm not going to put that in writing. I know I put three items in the parcel, but she says she only received one. I suppose the postman unwrapped it, nicked two and then carefully re-wrapped the parcel?

I need to rebalance my karma now by doing a kindness for someone

I'll pop down the road and keep my local pub in business

Comment

I keep getting fake e-mails from paypal telling me to go to sites and register all my banking details.

This all started after i tried to register as a seller. obviously not a very secure setup. I just don't use it now as I'm sure I've been compromised.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
            I keep getting fake e-mails from paypal telling me to go to sites and register all my banking details.

This all started after i tried to register as a seller. obviously not a very secure setup. I just don't use it now as I'm sure I've been compromised.
            I don't think it would matter whether you were involved with ebay or not, they just send them out willy nilly knowing that a fairly hefty proportion of email users also use Paypal or eBay!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post

They do this whether you register or not. I kept getting fake eBay and Paypal (and Barclays, Lloyds, etc) emails to my slave email account (one I set up simply and solely for junk mail)

As I have never given that email address out to eBay or Paypal, I knew straight away they were fakes (phishing)

Comment

I use ebay and paypal quite a lot. As long as you are sensible and keep some security (like having a different paypal password to your ebay one) and only buying off people with good feedback there is very little risk to your bank details or your money.

I had a phase of phising via email but mostly for banks that I didnt use, but hey, if 1 muppet in a 1000 is silly enough to fall for it them the scammers are onto a winner. But then again those people would fall for the "I have £30m in Nigeria and need your details to!!!!!" wouldnt they.
                Last edited by pigletwillie; 11-06-2007, 07:03 AM.

Comment

I've been getting loads from bands recently - funnily enough not had any actually from the bank I use! Did forward a couple of them to the banks in question to warn them but never heard anything back and am guessing that they knew anyway. If you're not sure about a mail then if you hover over the link you normally can see that it isn't acutually linked to anything do to with what it's supposed to be.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                    But then again those people woild fall for the "I have £30m in Nigeria and need your details to!!!!!" wouldnt they.
                    So that was a scam was it???
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I stopped using eBay after I received an e-mail requesting details on an item I hadn't listed. I lost confidence in the sysytem, and don't believe paypal is secure enough to have my banking details. Apart from this, I found that selling on eBay was taking up much more of my valuable time I'd thought it would. Packaging and finding out postage costs etc, and money transfer without a paypal account can be a bit difficult.

Mark
                      http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
                      http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

yes Mark, you have to be super-efficient and work like a dog to make any money on eBay: to the newbie it sounds like easy money, but shoppers are too canny these days and want a bargain.
                        Having said that, my mate in Scotland just sold his £300 guitar for £950! (but then bought another one, so made no money at all)

Comment

I agree, it's the minority that ruin it for everyone else.

Recently -well, a couple of months ago now, I bought some Gillette Fusion razor blades (I was bought the razor for Christmas) from a place that claimed they were "the cheapest of ebay". They were, but they certainly weren't the real deal. On the first use of them, I nearly took half my face off - they were blunt as anything, they pulled more hair than they cut.

I queried if they were genuine Gillette blades, and got the reply "yes they are genuine". However, I sent some ofe the blades off to Proctor & Gamble, the manufacturers who confirmed that they were indeed counterfeit.

The seller then had the nerve to ask me to remove my negative feedback from their listing!? Isn't that the whole point of having it!?

Never got my money (£10) back from the seller.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X