No announcement yet.

Supermarket checkout - embarrassing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I live in Scotland... No fruit? No veg? No problem...

I always thought this was a fallacy until I became a teacher. The wee lassie that lives through the back from us didn't recognise peas, onions, carrots, salad, beans, or cabbages, asking "is that a leek?" whenever I showed her the plants. She is in second year in high school!
    Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

Originally posted by out in the cold View Post

I always thought this was a fallacy until I became a teacher. The wee lassie that lives through the back from us didn't recognise peas, onions, carrots, salad, beans, or cabbages, asking "is that a leek?" whenever I showed her the plants. She is in second year in high school!
      Why do some people become parents????

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
        Why do some people become parents????
        Probably don't know what causes it.....
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by out in the cold View Post

It is pretty dire

I need to make some basic soap to eventually turn into liquid laundry detergent, that quantity of lard should get the "lookers" eyebrows raising too
          Last edited by Ananke; 20-08-2014, 06:08 PM.
          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use to work on the checkouts in a supermarket. You could always spot the person who grew their own. No fruit or veg or possibly a small amount. Then pickling stuff and plenty of alcohol usually gin.

Its not just the youngsters who don't know their fruit and veg. I know of several staff who struggled with both fruit and veg. I have to agree with you Ananke it is pretty dire but also a bit sad that people don't know what everyday things are. Well everyday things that are everyday to us veg and fruit growers that is.
            sigpic

Comment

In our area the mixed recycling bin (open) is another nightmare. Most of my neighbours are full of tins, jars and bottles and numerous plastic boxes. Mine is normally just milk cartons and wine bottles. I keep all jars for jam etc, rarely buy tins and any plastic cartons tend to go under baby plants as drip trays. If I didn't put the milk cartons in I'm sure I'd be labelled as an alcoholic.

Comment

Just thinking about customers when the horse meat scandal was big news I had a guy in his 50's ask me how you cook beef mince. I looked at him and said pardon. He explained he had never ever cooked a meal from scratch ever.
                They also fail to see it is usually cheaper to buy stuff loose than pre packed.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                  I see other customers eyeing up my purchases as I go through the checkout.
                  I'm now of an age where I don't much care what other people think of me. Although I am still immature enough to put packs of condoms/haemarroid cream in other people's trollies if they annoy me
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I'm now of an age where I don't much care what other people think of me. Although I am still immature enough to put packs of condoms/haemarroid cream in other people's trollies if they annoy me
                    My dad does that he usually puts feminine products in as well as Tena products.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                      My dad does that he usually puts feminine products in as well as Tena products.
                      I'm glad its not just me

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X