No announcement yet.

Stoptober. Anyone else doing it.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martin, it sounds as if you've read the Allen Carr book, How to Stop Smoking? I have to say it is a brilliant book and was the thing that stopped me smoking 20 years ago, after many failed attempts to give up. After I'd read and thought about his arguments, which are startling and very logical, I just couldn't carry on smoking.
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I used to work with a lady, who had smoked all her adult life, well over 40 years, she read a 'book' and gave up, wonder if it was same book. She used to put the money she would have spent aside and give to her grandchildren every month. It worked.
      DottyR

Comment

Originally posted by Dorothy rouse View Post
        I used to work with a lady, who had smoked all her adult life, well over 40 years, she read a 'book' and gave up, wonder if it was same book. She used to put the money she would have spent aside and give to her grandchildren every month. It worked.
        Good for her! One of Allen Carr's arguments does have to do with money, so it could well be the same book. He says that, if you offer to pay for a smoker's cigs for the rest of his/her life provided they give you the money they'd spend on, say, two years' worth, hardly any smoker will take up the offer. He says that's because most smokers don't think they will be smoking for the entire rest of their lives. His next point is: if you are planning to give up at some point, why not do it now?

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
          Martin, it sounds as if you've read the Allen Carr book, How to Stop Smoking? I have to say it is a brilliant book and was the thing that stopped me smoking 20 years ago, after many failed attempts to give up. After I'd read and thought about his arguments, which are startling and very logical, I just couldn't carry on smoking.
          I've recommended that book to lots of people who have subsequently given up; I've even bought it for a few people who have expressed a desire to quit. I haven't read it myself but I gather it's pretty persuasive. My niece is the only person I know who read it to no effect... even though she read it twice. She finally gave up under her own steam because she didn't want her children thinking it was an acceptable thing to do.

Comment

Ha! I always thought you were a man, Voles! Wonder if I've got the wrong idea about anyone else's gender too?
            Ha ha. Noosner, have you seen my profile pic? I'm not very manly at all!

And yep, Martin, I've read the Alan Carr book several times. Just doesn't click with me!

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post

And yep, Martin, I've read the Alan Carr book several times. Just doesn't click with me!
              Voles! have just looked at your pic and I see what you mean!

Comment

Ha! I always thought you were a man, Voles! Wonder if I've got the wrong idea about anyone else's gender too?
                I thought that too 😳

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by VolesAteMyPeas View Post
                  Your avatar on the app is just a cartoon face, didn't give me clues either way, voles must be male to me

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

This has come up before about who us male or female. Got a few surprises when some owned up.
                    Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      I thought that too 
                      Me too............................but now I know better.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Other forums I use show the Gender in the mini-profile thingie next to each post, which avoids the embarrassment of getting it wrong ... dunno if that is possible with the forum software here though?
                        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

... just looked in my Profile Settings and I can't see that Gender is even one of the questions asked, so displaying it might be a bit of a challenge!

Comment

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that most who replied thought I was a man! I have to wonder why. Should I use more kisses and emoticons maybe? Xxxx xxxxx

Comment

I'm a chicken - so I must be female

Comment

FWIW I have Avatars and Signatures turned off. Being dyslexic they seriously increase the time it takes me to filter the post from the chaff ... so there isn't much else in the way of clues to go on ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X