Opinions please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions please

i have about a cubic meter of superb garden compost, fine black and crumbly and hardly needs sifting. The question is if I mix this this with leaf mould can I use it as potting compost? I usually mix my own potting compost from soil sand and leaf mould but thought that if I use the compost it would provide more nutrients for the young plants.

What do people think please and what rations would be best.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

I used pure home made compost for growing my toms in one year and had a heck of a crop. I am going to mix some today with some freshly chopped leaves and use it as a medium for potting on orchids into an open textured compost! I know you can buy the proper stuff, but I've done it in the past and it seems to work.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I will give it a go. The compost we get here is a load of rubbish which is why I have been mixing my own.

Thanks
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I would also use your own compost, after all, you can always add a bit of feed if they need it.
        Last edited by Bigmallly; 02-11-2014, 09:59 PM.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I use my own compost for potting compost as its invariably better than bought stuff. Like you I add a generous slug of leaf mould and a bit of sand if I have any left overfrom jobs. If you are worried about nutrients etc, a helping of a slow release such as blood fish and bone will work wonders.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X