Challenge the Vine in 2015!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge the Vine in 2015!

OK, its raining and dark and my mind is already working on 2015.
    Been thinking about the wacky Challenges that are on the go at the moment and those that could be started/resurrected for 2015.
    Here are some for you to think about - feel free to suggest more. A chance for you to Challenge the Vine to do something - but only if you're going to do it too

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nge_81685.html

BM's http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ent_81691.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...4-a_77445.html

I'm going to start a "Plate of Salad a week Challenge"

Anything I've missed or you'd like to do?

I read BM's tomato experiment thread. When my toms had finished I cut them all down and composted all of them apart from three. They seem to be doing ok one even had a flower on a few weeks ago until the blow away blew away.
    Already having ago at your challenge VC not very well though
    Thinking about a new challenge for next year apart from not to kill everything.
    Think my challenge is produce more and preserve more.
    Oh just thinking, I know very hard for me sometimes, going along the lines of recycling. Read about a woman who's recycling thing was ' refuse, reduce , reuse and recycle'. She says people should think do I really need that bag or that wrapping etc. So I am going to try and do the 4 R's next year.
    sigpic

Comment

Challenges for next year:-

Entry into every category of the VVS next year
      Grow something resembling show veg (thinking pot leek and long beetroot)
      Possibly something else I am yet to decide

Long term challenge I know I will fail at the first hurdle i.e per week challenges
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 07-11-2014, 08:12 PM.

Comment

My life is full of challenges..........so far I've got on the go:
        Perennial Toms Experiment.......52 week Tattie Experiment........Various Brassicas cut to stumps that are already re-sprouting........Perennial Runner Beans.........Carrot, Pot Leek & Beetroot tape recently planted in Kite.........Various Summer onion sets that were to small to eat are back in a bed.........at this rate I won't have much to do in spring if they all make it through the w*nt*r.............
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead_76426.html was my challenge - more to me than anyone else but I was inspired by VCs thread last year to try something new!

I kept going until this autumn when a sudden change happened and I adopted a new puppy who has medical needs so life has been a bit on the basic / chaotic since then!

But next year I would like help on the vine to manage my mainly organic plot without it getting out of hand and me getting a 'letter' from the council to get it all cleared up within 28 days
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Here's a really BIG Challenge for 2015.............
            Not to buy any vegetables during the year but eat only whatever you grow yourself.
            Maybe choose say 3 veggies that you know you can't grow, and buy only those. For example, I would have to buy mushrooms, can't seem to grow those for love nor money.
            Any takers?

Comment

Well..............I fancied some chips for tea so went to the paper sack to get some tatties.............Oops......................Luckily I have a Blue Barrel cut in half so feel another experiment coming on...........
              Attached Files
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Aww - c'mon BM - you could have taken the sprouts off those and used 'em! I have done worse before now.
                Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Nah..............they're screaming to be put in compost............

Comment

my challenge is to make better use of space,if thats possible,starting with the frame to the net cage,hoping to get some squash trained up it,as well as in the center space,no need for the net next year,we are in the process of reorganizing the plots,for easier use of,like some more beds,and permenant net cages for rotation,1 for brassicas 1 for peas/carrots and the 3rd one what ever,that should make it easier on the bother of erecting flimsy net supports out of blue tubing,less strain on me personally,thats as far as i dare plane plan yet,apart form seed collection and chatting.
                    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Sorry Veggiechicken your challenge of 'buy no veg etc' would mean me and hubby starving - there are are few reasons for that -
                      we are vegetarians who....
                      only have a very small growing space who....
                      are pretty useless at growing veg who....
                      get excited about anything that IS edible from the garden who....
                      won't even contemplate eating our growing family of slugs.

I have a challenge idea though
                      Grow a very unusual veg + fruit + flower to see if you can get them to look like the pictures on the packets.
                      Sue
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Here's a really BIG Challenge for 2015.............
                        Not to buy any vegetables during the year but eat only whatever you grow yourself.
                        Maybe choose say 3 veggies that you know you can't grow, and buy only those. For example, I would have to buy mushrooms, can't seem to grow those for love nor money.
                        Any takers?
                        So we're going to see a very skinny VC in 2015! Or is this the patent VC diet?
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I wish, Snadger!! In truth, I haven't bought any veggies except mushrooms and a few yellow-stickered items, since March. I'm really chuffed. Never thought it could be done

Comment

Oh VC I am so jealous!
                            Well Done You _ Whoop Whoop
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Thanks Lumpy. I think your challenge should be to increase the area that you use to grow veg. Maybe grow more in pots, or up fences, or in your front garden. I'm sure you can squeeze more in somewhere

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X