This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    It is a health quiz but laden with doom and gloom - as it predicts your date of death and writes it on a tombstone.
    Not one to do if you're feeling a bit down - or even if you're not - 'cos you soon will be
    Thanks for the descrip, VC. Now I really daren't do it, in case it tells me I'm going to peg it next year or something! Honestly, that's the sort of thing that really puts the wind up me. I wish I could take these sorts of things with a pinch of salt. But I can't
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

There's no need to do it, Noosner - honest
      I think most gardener's know about living a healthy lifestyle. We take exercise whilst caring for the garden. we eat fresh fruit and veg that we grow - and being outdoors gives you a feeling of wellbeing.
      These benefits are not taken into account in the health questionnaire, but, in my mind, they far outweigh the "negative effect" of an occasional glass of wine.

Everything in moderation and live life to the full. Above all, be content with your life, however long it may be. Thus endeth today's lesson

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        It is a health quiz but laden with doom and gloom - as it predicts your date of death and writes it on a tombstone.
        Not one to do if you're feeling a bit down - or even if you're not - 'cos you soon will be
        Did I look at something different? The one I saw didn't ask me anything about my health, just BMI, DoB, gender etc and if I drank or smoked. I could have had a terminal disease and it wouldn't have changed its answer. I know it was meant to be be a bit if fun but I really don't get it.
        Last edited by Alison; 06-12-2014, 11:11 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

No, Alison, we looked at the same thing. Noosner asked if it was a health questionnaire and I didn't want to say it was like looking at Rosie Lee's Crystal Ball and letting her predict the day you'd die

Comment

I've always been Mr Average UK I guess:

I get a fair bit of exercise, but probably not enough.
            I eat fairly healthily, but occasionally like a bago of crisps, fish & chips or an indian.
            Some weeks I drink more than the boffins say is healthy for me.
            I have a BMI of 27 - I'm simply not tall enough for my weight.

I firmly believe in everything in moderation.....including moderation.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
              I've always been Mr Average UK I guess:

I get a fair bit of exercise, but probably not enough.
              I eat fairly healthily, but occasionally like a bago of crisps, fish & chips or an indian.
              Some weeks I drink more than the boffins say is healthy for me.
              I have a BMI of 27 - I'm simply not tall enough for my weight.

I firmly believe in everything in moderation.....including moderation.
              LOL, I'm exactly the same.

I am on the plump side, mainly because I like a glass (or two) of wine and a slice (or two) of caaaake. (though not necessarily at the same time)
              I garden, do Pilates, play table tennis competitively and walk the dog every day. That seems enough exercise to me.
              I am a terrible worrier.
              I eat 5 fruits and veggies a day and sometimes a lot more.

So... a few plusses and a few minuses.

The obsession with health nowadays, the plethora of TV progs about exercise, diet, additives, etc, really gets on my shetlap but I can't completely ignore it. Nearly all my life I've been trying to lose a stone. That poor ole stone has gone on and off every verse end then I read it is harmful to lose and put on weight.

So now I am trying to be happy more or less as I am... with occasional tweakings!
              My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

I shouldn't worry about it Noosner, there is no medical foundation on that webpage at all, I stopped at the first option Smoker/ Non-Smoker, I am officially a non-smoker (I even have a certificate to prove it) however I did smokefor over 40 years & I'm absolutely possitive that it has had an adverse effect on my lung capaity (that is my personal opinion notmy doctors), there really should be more options, basically if you or any other member have concerns & have any health or dietary questions go & see your GP, doing online self-diagnosis is never going to end well IMHO
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
                  Nearly all my life I've been trying to lose a stone. That poor ole stone has gone on and off every verse end then I read it is harmful to lose and put on weight.

So now I am trying to be happy more or less as I am... with occasional tweakings!
                  I used to do that - try every diet that came out, lose some weight, but couldn't keep it off for long. Try another diet - same effect. Once I stopped thinking about losing weight and just eating normally, the weight came off and stayed off. Magic
                  Be happy in your skin, whatever shape it is

Comment

The only thing I know for an absolute fact is that I am built for comfort not speed and I will die at some point.
                    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

What a pity that the link is broken to the original test page, as I love to scare myself! As has frequently been said before, if you give up alcohol, tobacco, sex and eating too much, you won't actually live longer; it will just SEEM much longer.

I think the most important thing is moderate exercise, of which we gardeners get quite a lot. Nowadays we go for a leisurely walk through the forest with the dogs for at least an hour every day. That makes a great difference to how we feel, and even helps with things like bad backs after a lot of garden work.

My main aim as a gardener is to be bloody sure I get to see the flowers and fruit on all those trees I have planted over the past ten years. The Grim Reaper will be told where to go if he turns up before my Osage Orange trees have flowered and fruited or before my Golden Rain Tree, Koelreuteria paniculata, has flowered for the first time.

Heck, at 68, I am still planting oak tree seedlings and I am determined I will be keeping warm from the prunings in ten or twenty years time.

It's strange how we worry less about death than about what will happen after we have gone. Having spent eleven years working to turn our patch into a wonderful wildlife reserve full of plants, my nightmare is that it might get sold on after my demise to some local farmer who will cut down every tree and turn it into a monoculture for maize, sprayed with noxious chemicals every year.

Comment

KofA I know your heart is in the right place. And I agree with you about the acid alkaline thing.

But I'm inclined to think that this subject is fine to talk about with people face to face, but on a public forum you don't know people's circumstances or how it might effect them. Everyone has their own way of getting through life and it's up to the individual how they go about it, I don't really think this forum is the right place to remind people what they should and shouldn't be eating and so on...just my opinion.
                        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Just a thought.

James F Fixx, spurred on the jogging craze through his books in which he preached the active people live longer and the best exercise was to go running.

He died doing what he loved, he had a heart attack whilst on a lone jog.................. Only trouble was he was only 52 years old. So much for that theory then.
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

And so....I'm going to close this thread as we feel that this is not as medically accurate as it needs to be.
                            It has certainly made those of us who need to be more aware during the bing season that we should keep an eye on what we are eating and drinking...

Those with medical conditions need to take it with a pinch of salt ( ...or maybe not depending on your own personal salt intake???)
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X