This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Flo, it won't take you long if you've already got a mobile phone.
    Flo if I can swap phones after all that time you'll have no problems
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
      I'm still confused - but just get my Reader's Digest wiring diagrams out and leave it at that
      Many years ago, 37 to be exact, before the regulations required Corgi membership I decided to rewire my former home which still had some lead covered wire. I used a book for the sockets, cooker etc. but the lighting being a bit more complicated I used a magazine which happened to be on sale at that time. I remember sitting in the loft with the magazine spread out before me painstakingly connecting the lights and switches one by one - at the end they all worked fine and I had the system checked out by the electricity board at the conclusion. Took me a long time and I did make one mistake - I connected up the transformer for the door bell before the test which gave an unexpected reading - this was not covered in the books/magazines

Never had one fuse blown in the 9 years I lived in that house afterwards - can't say that about the present one

I have since rewired on a number of occasions when fitting new kitchens but it is always easier to do the job from scratch
      Last edited by Sheneval; 18-01-2015, 04:04 PM.
      Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
        Flo if I can swap phones after all that time you'll have no problems
        I remember when you changed Bren and I was tempted (mine is an antique flip top Motorola), but I didn't do it. I've taken the first steps now, so that'll be interesting.
        Thanks for the confidence boost to you and Scarlet
        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• My son did some wiring in my house a few years ago Shen. Whenever I switched on the bathroom light, the light in the back bedroom came on as well. He was sleeping in there at the time, so he soon put it right!

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
            My son did some wiring in my house a few years ago Shen. Whenever I switched on the bathroom light, the light in the back bedroom came on as well. He was sleeping in there at the time, so he soon put it right!
            Did he use a central junction box - my daughter's house has one of these - they are supposed to be simple but are a nightmare to look at.
            Last edited by Sheneval; 18-01-2015, 04:13 PM.
            Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Haven't a clue Shen. He's one of these lads who thinks he can turn his hand to anything and usually it's ok, but now and again, it's not!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Flo, it won't take you long if you've already got a mobile phone.
                .................and know how to use it

Comment

• That's the problem Chick - I'm so used to this phone, I dread learning how to use a new one!

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    .................and know how to use it
                    White Plains

Comment

• Oh gosh!!!

...haven't some rules and regs and certificates for wiring etc come into force in the UK about work done?

When my mom bought her previous house many years ago from a friend she didn't have checks done on it and her plumber was quite badly electrocuted!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                        Haven't a clue Shen. He's one of these lads who thinks he can turn his hand to anything and usually it's ok, but now and again, it's not!
                        I was 14 when I fixed my dad's electric fire which he was about to throw it out - had both bars working at full tilt when he came home and didn't cost a penny - not sure he was happy about the 2 bars being on though
                        Last edited by Sheneval; 18-01-2015, 04:32 PM.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Oh gosh!!!

...haven't some rules and regs and certificates for wiring etc come into force in the UK about work done?

When my mom bought her previous house many years ago from a friend she didn't have checks done on it and her plumber was quite badly electrocuted!!!
                          Nicos - You now have to be Corgi registered now before you can carry out any alterations to the system but think you can still change a light fitting or replace a socket - all installations have to be properly earthed to prevent tragedies such as you describe.

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Evening folks!

Spent most of the day round furniture shops looking for new dining table and chairs - I know what I want, it's just finding who sells it! After finding something which ticks all the boxes, and going home to mull it over before placing the order, mum phones to say she's found just the thing that I want in the Argos catalogue, and it's just under half the price pretty much anything that I've looked at today - hurrah!

Well done mum - problem is, it's 'home delivery' only and not in stock for my postcode. Will go into our local store tomorrow and see what can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                              Nicos - You now have to be Corgi registered now before you can carry out any alterations to the system but think you can still change a light fitting or replace a socket - all installations have to be properly earthed to prevent tragedies such as you describe.
                              It's a different regulatory body now, I think, Shen - in England at any rate - but the principle's the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                                It's a different regulatory body now, I think, Shen - in England at any rate - but the principle's the same.
                                Hazel, Corgi was our gas lot up here - thought they had made them responsible for electricity but on reflection I think they may changed Corgi to something else. I will check

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X