Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conference Dessert C 17 Partially self-fertile
    Williams Dual Cul & Des D 20 Partially self-fertile
    Partially Self-Fertile varieties produce some crop without a pollinator and benefit considerably from a pollinator.

Czar Culinary D 22 Self-fertile
    Opal Dessert C 21 Self-fertile

Kordia Dessert D 0 Self-sterile (needs a pollinator)
    Morello Culinary F 0 Self-fertile

Here you go. Taken from Keepers Nursery UK | Fruit trees for sale | Buy Online | Mail order The one to watch for is the kordia cherry which I have put in bold and just to top it morello is not a pollinator for it (not that it cause me an issue )

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
      Oooh summer fruiting raspberry. I think the one that they had last week (and still in my local store) were autumn fruit so I may have to buy a couple of these.

I wonder what my councils view is on guerilla gardening with fruit trees?
      They might welcome it. I only found out recently that the neighbourhood committees are responsible for the tree-pits in the street and the maintenance of them. We don't have fruit trees in ours, but there are many horse chestnuts, so there must be budget built in for clearing fallen fruit. Might be worth contacting them...
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

There are some really handy online guides for pollinating partners. Orange pippin have one where you put in the tree you want and it suggests partners. Online pollination checker for fruit trees
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

For those who like to peruse a catalog of apple types with some "blurb" about each - I like this site

Apple Trees-List of traditional and historic apple varieties.

Comment

Near us someone was after having trees planted around a huge field. I suggested fruit. The council decided that fruit was a bad idea cos people might throw fruit at cars. So one of the poorer areas in Oldham missed out on a huge fruit orchard.

Comment

Alldigging, I expect there was a powerful grocer influence on the Oldham council, keen to protect their takings in season. Committee decisions are always logical and reasoned.

As an aside, I noticed yesterday that our local Poundstretcher has got fruit trees in at the moment too. I successfully hurried past without looking closely, although I was trapped by the seed display on the way to the till (2 packets for £1: nasturtium and limnanthes).
              Last edited by Martin H; 03-02-2015, 10:45 AM.
              My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
              Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I saw the Poundstretcher ones too. £5.99 I think? They were so tightly packed in the box that I couldn't see the varieties. Saw Morello cherry and a couple of plums and apples & pears of course.
                Bought some nerines, freesias & gypsophila

Comment

Now, just been reading up on fruit arches which look like an interesting way to grow. Would cherries and plums grow as a fruit arch?

Another question about apples - tip bearing and spur bearing, how do you tell the difference and how do the pruning methods vary? As the descriptions of the apples I've read online don't mention which type they are would it be safe to assume that unless stated an apple is going to be a spur bearer?

R.E. espaliers, looked on the RHS website and it looks as if the m9 rootstock is too dwarfing for apples to create an espalier but the Quince A for pears would be ok
                  https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=319

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Might by a few apple trees to put at the back of the allotment, they wouldn't block the sun that much am I right in guessing? Really want a cherry tree... may invest in a dwarf sunburst from somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I saw the Poundstretcher ones too. £5.99 I think? They were so tightly packed in the box that I couldn't see the varieties. Saw Morello cherry and a couple of plums and apples & pears of course.
                      Bought some nerines, freesias & gypsophila
                      I plant gypsophilla every year and its ne'er seen again! Its supposed to be a blimmin perennial innit?:rolleyes
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

My Grampy always had Gypsophila on his allotment and I've tried countless times to grow it - no luck whatsoever Have to keep trying though or he'll tell me I'm useless

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                          Oo-er thats a new one. Thanks for that Noos. Even better to hear you got to do the course and it was FREE.

The apple trees are dwarf Noos, you could have lots of cordons or trained trees. Side of the shed perhaps?

As for the allotmenteer are they stirring?
                          Oooh don't tempt me NG!! Because I am very easily tempted... yes I think the fellow allotmenteer was stirring, though he did go on to say that if you keep your plot looking good, no-one bothers to enforce the rules. And he said mine was looking good, so I think any stirring was offset by this kindly remark!
                          My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

This is quite a good site for fruit trees, including apples. It gives lists (with pics of fruit too) of the selected fruit, and you can narrow the results by lots of different criteria, including spur or tip bearers, also by specific disease resistance, flowering group, flavour, picking season, loads of choices.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                              This is quite a good site for fruit trees, including apples. It gives lists (with pics of fruit too) of the selected fruit, and you can narrow the results by lots of different criteria, including spur or tip bearers, also by specific disease resistance, flowering group, flavour, picking season, loads of choices.
                              Thanks, now im wasting even more time , just looking though

Comment

Glad thats over it was approaching Arpoets getting a waterbutt full of water of the top shelf at at DIY store calamity. Yes I was being very optimistic at juggling fruit trees with a pram with a 10month old, my two year old and just the whole aldi shopping thing but its done.

Just to report the trees at mine are more 2.5m so not quite so easy to pop in ya car (if it is full of people and stuff ) and only the roots are bagged (thankfully and bizarrely I had secateurs in the car). I didn't see any braeburn apples or Jonagold apples but they have gained spartan.

Hope this helps

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X