Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hitch-hiker - What Should I Have Done.....?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
    Why do you think he may have had a mental health need
    Half a million people in the UK, mostly elderly, suffer from Alzheimers - and that number doesn't include all the other brain-affecting/memory-affecting disorders.
    I half expected that he might have 'escaped' or wandered off from his carers nearby and was trying to get back to where he remembered living in the past.

It would make a typical script for something like Casualty:
    Old man taken ill in town centre. Nobody knows who he is. Old man is confused; doesn't know who he is or how he got there. Doctors unsure how to treat him in case of complicating factors/unknown medical conditions. Doctors fail to spot unexpected complicating factor and he's put on the wrong treatment. Many miles away, worried relatives wonder where Grandad has disappeared to after slipping out the back gate.

There were several things about him which might have indicated something like Alzheimers - not least the unusual circumstances of an elderly person wanting a lift at dusk to somewhere half an hour away - but equally the 'symptoms' (occasionally getting his tongue in a knot with some more unusual/complex words, not very mobile etc) are fairly normal for elderly people and if I had happened to sit next to the bloke on a bus and got chatting, I would have not thought anything of it.

I'm not 'accusing' him of having a mental illness, but in today's 'blame and liability culture' I half expect someone to come along and arrest me for 'kidnapping' a 'vulnerable' person.

But he was probably safer where I left him in central Bury St.Edmunds with plenty of people around rather than alone by the side of a fast road after dark.

I did exactly what the chap asked. Everything which was said was recorded by my dash cam (which I made him aware of, in case he didn't like the idea and wanted to get out) and I have saved copies of the files as evidence that I acted 100% in accordance with his wishes and instructions.

Comment

You made a judgement call FB all with good intentions so I think you did the right thing.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I'm sure you did absolutely the right thing, FB. Not sure what I would have done in those circumstances.
        Many years ago, when stopped at traffic lights, early evening, an oldish lady tapped on the car window and asked for a lift into town - with some long sob story. So I let her in and drove on down to town. You don't have much time for rational thinking when stopped at a red light!
        She said she was staying at a certain hotel and, as it wasn't far out of my way, I took her there - but on the way I began to doubt her story and became a bit concerned for her mental state. When we reached the hotel, I went inside with her and reception knew nothing at all about her - in fact, it was quite an expensive hotel and seemed to be out of her price range. Reception recommended a couple of budget guest houses a couple of miles out of the city centre and there was nothing else I could do but take her there and make sure she had a bed for the night.
        By the time this was sorted, I'd missed my meeting with friends in town!
        Would I do it again? I really don't know

Comment

I've checked the Suffolk and Norfolk police missing person pages several times since I dropped him off and he's not on their pages (just had another look).
          So either he was genuine or he was quickly found and returned to where he should be.

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith
            When I travel I am armed. Even so I wouldn't pick up a hitch hiker. I wouldn't feel safe.
            Armed???

Oh your location is USA... Nevermind

Comment

I wouldn't worry. I agree with Bigmally. Brave though for doing it. My mind would have had me drive the whole way there thinking will I make it back...

Clearly watched too many films...

Comment

^^^^^^^^^God made a little man and a big man............Mr Colt made the equaliser!!!
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                  ^^^^^^^^^God made a little man and a big man............Mr Colt made the equaliser!!!
                  ^^^^the original point and click interface!
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

The last thing you want to hear is 'CLICK' it might just be the last thing you ever hear LOL.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X