No announcement yet.

I've got a riddle for you

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats brown and does somersaults in the gutter?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

To get back on topic...

Now, having scorched my Monstera deliciosa, by leaving it in the sun whilst I was away (idiot, that I am), I have been reading up on pruning and care of this beast. I discovered that in their natural jungle habitat, their new shoots grow toward the shade (Negative phototropism) when seeking a tree to climb. This is becuse the best shade is provided by the biggest trees, so that's what they grow toward, in order to get the best site for the mature plant.

Clever, innit!?
      Last edited by Glutton4...; 15-08-2015, 03:42 PM.
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Whats brown and does somersaults in the gutter?
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rt-arse-2.html
        Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

Re

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          To get back on topic...

Now, having scorched my Monstera deliciosa, by leaving it in the sun whilst I was away (idiot, that I am), I have been reading up on pruning and care of this beast. I discovered that in their natural jungle habitat, their new shoots grow toward the shade (Negative phototropism) when seeking a tree to climb. This is becuse the best shade is provided by the biggest trees, so that's what they grow toward, in order to get the best site for the mature plant.

Clever, innit!?
          Yep--that's got to be on the money. My guess is that the right post simply does cast more of a shadow then the left ( this will change with the seasons), which means the photoreceptors pick up more shade from that angle and consequently send out more growth to that side. Evolution is amazing.

Have you tried monstera fruit? They are actually not bad--but you have to make sure you eat them at optimal ripeness, otherwise you get the little black spiky hair thingies all through your tongue. Hrad to describe the taste, they are commonly called 'fruit salad fruit' in Australia. My interpretation of the flavor is like pineapple and cherimoya/sugar apple. Beautiful plant and despite being an invasive exotic here in Aus they provide excellent habitats for green tree frogs and blue tongue lizards. Good pioneer species too (I think they're a nitrogen fixer) as they create some good ground shade and can be removed pretty easily if need be.
          Last edited by Starling; 17-08-2015, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X