Recommend me a jigsaw

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a jigsaw

I've finally decided that life's too short (apologies, VC) to use a handsaw. I used to enjoy gently sawing through wood when I made bits and bobs for the garden etc. But now I feel I should go "power tool", so what jigsaw do you recommend?

What features should it have, what are unnecessary?

Remember I am a mere female, so weight, or rather lack of, is also important.

What wattage is best for simple woodworking jobs? I don't want to build an entire fitted out log cabin, more along the lines of bird boxes and insect hotels.

There seems to be a huge choice and variety and price range, so what's best?
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Hey mere female

im no mega diy freak but the JS i had was from my fave shop ( yep Lidl) and cost about 25 squids with blades.whilst handy, if your after straight cuts ( if not fancy shaping ) then i would maybe be tempted to a circular saw.

Comment

I actually thought you meant jigsaw as in puzzle. Blonde/grey moment
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Me too, Sally. I was going to suggest country cottages and seascapes

Comment

The Jolly Fisherman 5000 piece souvenir of Skegness
          What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
          Pumpkin pi.

Comment

If it's your first one, I would try this one for the price then if you don't get on with it you've not broke the bank.

BLACK+DECKER KS500 Jigsaw 400 Watt: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I thought it was a jigsaw puzzle too NS...if you want a recommendation, there is one which is Waterloo Station during the war and then the same picture updated to 1999 I think. My kids bought it for me about 15 years ago and I still haven't finished it...it's the roof that's the b****r!!
              sigpic

Comment

A few things to think about.

As already pointed out to cut a straight line is very difficult with a jigsaw, I find it impossible without clamping a straight edge to the work piece to run the saw along. If you go down this route make sure it has a pendulum action, this will allow you to alter the cutting angle to give a more/less aggressive cutting action. Be prepared to practice on scrap timber to polish your technique. Do you have a power supply or are you thinking battery?

If I were to be wanting to cut straight lines I would prefer a circular saw but they are more dangerous to use, many folks have lost a finger/hand when the saw has 'kicked back'
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

One more point I would not use a circular saw without wearing Kevlar gloves for a tenner or less it is money well spent.
                  Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Of all the power tools I have, the jigsaw is one I would not spend a lot of money on again. They're pretty safe and pretty uncomplicated. The only thing I would say is have a look at how the blades are held in and replaced. Older or more basic models are normally held in with some sort of screw clamp system whereas more modern or more expensive ones might use a spring loaded clamp system. The former is more secure but a very slight faff to change blades. The latter is quicker to change blades but I have found them to be held less securely. As I say though, not worth spending a fortune on in my opinion. An Aldi or Lidl one is likely to meet your needs if only using it occasionally and within the limits of robustness! ie - don't expect it to cut down trees and it will probably last you a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by jackarmy View Post
                      Hey mere female

im no mega diy freak but the JS i had was from my fave shop ( yep Lidl) and cost about 25 squids with blades.whilst handy, if your after straight cuts ( if not fancy shaping ) then i would maybe be tempted to a circular saw.
                      I wouldn't feel at all safe wielding a circular saw, Jack, too fond of ALL my fingers, and too inexperienced with electric tools
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by skeggijon View Post
                        The Jolly Fisherman 5000 piece souvenir of Skegness
                        An absolute must for every Leicester Chissit, I would say

Last edited by mothhawk; 12-09-2015, 09:10 AM.
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          If it's your first one, I would try this one for the price then if you don't get on with it you've not broke the bank.

BLACK+DECKER KS500 Jigsaw 400 Watt: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
                          Thanks for the recommendation, BM.

I'm not a big fan of B&D and PTD says I should go for one with pendulum action.

What's your impression of this one I like the idea of low vibration - my wrists aren't as young as they used to be!
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Bosch Keo or Black and Decker Scorpion saw.

Worth a look, not traditional Jigsaws, but based on your description of wants and uses, both could be tools you could use and with ease.

I have both and the Keo is awesome for down the lottie as it's cordless. Mainly used for dismembering Pallets, light and easy to use. Battery life is not the best, but good enough to slice and dice up a few pallets.

The B&D Scorpion saw is a small beast, the blade can be turned to work like a Jigsaw, or used straight like a mini reciprocating saw.
                            Life should be more like Bonsai...

Comment

IMHO Festool jigswaws are the best in the business, but they're fairly heavy and made for bigger hands and expensive too - I still suffer the financial pain of having bought one. I think you're on the right lines with that Bosch model - it looks good to me. It's not from their Pro range (which are usually blue, while the DIY gear is green) but it looks a sensible size, weight and price - and their blades are good too and use the most common fitting.
                              My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X