Giving blood

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving blood

I gave blood for the first time on Thursday.
    It gave me an amazing sence of achievement! I don't really like needles and I'm sure most people dont. It didn't hurt at all and only took 9 mins to fill the bag plus I got to enjoy a drink and a couple of biscuits afterwards.
    I found out this afternoon my blood group, AB Positive. This means I can have any blood but unfortunately only people with the same blood group can have my blood. But on the flips slide Plamsa can be taken from my blood and given to anyone!
    I urge anyone to donate and do something amazing today. Only 3% of people donate, many people wouldn't be hear if it wasn't for all the amazing doners.
    The reason I chosse to donate is because I have PCOS, finding it difficulty to conceive. The NHS are helping me so I wanted to give something back.

I hope someone reads this thread and books an appointment today!
    Come on guys! DO SOMETHING AMAZING!!
    @thecluelessgardener

Good for you Natalie As you say, it doesn't hurt and its very worthwhile.
    I used to give blood - but they won't take mine now
    My blood was so ordinary (O+) that I used to be called out of work to go to emergency donor sessions when there was a shortage for sickle cell anaemia patients.
    Its good to know that you've helped people in some way. Who knows, one day we may need someone else's blood too.

Comment

Well done Natalie! I went years ago, persuading a friend to keep me company. You've guessed it, I had a cold and they wouldn't take me but they took her! I'm ashamed to say I haven't been back. Next time the truck visits town I may just pay them a visit! I have A rhesus negative blood which only 7% of the donor population in the UK have, I really ought to take a leaf out of your book Natalie!
      sigpic

Comment

Mines A negative, used to do it more frequently when you could just pop in but find the appointment system they brought in some time back very restrictive. You have to book several months in advance round here and I don't know what's going on with work the far ahead. Probably only manage to go every couple of years now rather than every time. I quite like watching th bag fill up and feel good I've done something productive for once

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I used to donate every year too.
          O +ve as well!

They stopped taking mine too a few years ago due to ill health, but I always felt I had been socially minded are doing it.

Well done Natelie
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Back in the UK, we used to go every 6 months, to a very handy walk in clinic, but then the OH got put on med´s which mean he couldn't give so i slowly stopped going and then we moved out here and i would not have a clue where to go. I should find out.
            o+ as well.
            Well done Natalie, you should start dragging friends with you on the grounds we are going for coffee
            Last edited by Lisasbolt; 13-10-2015, 09:48 AM.
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I am B+ and donated blood for many years but now I too am on medication which means I can't any more. It always gave me a thrill knowing I was helping someone else by such a simple act and I miss being able to do that.
              Last edited by meteor; 13-10-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

It is when someone gives you a card to hand over to the nurses taking the blood that says: "Please drain" on it when you need to start worrying.

Comment

I would ask people to give blood as when I had Han her placental abruption and had an 18 unit blood transfusion. To stop me bleeding out they wrapped my middle up like an Egyptian Mommy. Even now when I have a blood test I have to point out that I've had a big transfusion.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am 0 negative. I only know this because they told my mum when I was a baby.

I would go and give blood but I really do not like needles. When I go and have blood tests I have to look away and close my eyes. I can feel the blood being took.

But well done to those who go and give blood
                    Carrie

Comment

Good for you Natalie, well done!

I'm common as muck A+, like many in the UK, but on the plus side, I suppose it also means there's a lot of A+'s out there that can receive it

It's sad that more young people don't donate, as present donors become older and have to go on meds and drop out of the system. Perhaps college recruitment drives would help, although so many are precluded from donating because of having had body piercing or tattoos.

If you've had a blood transfusion before, I think, 1980, again, you cannot donate.

But anyone else, they'll take gladly. I remember one time I was at the centre, a chap came in who from his appearance was either sleeping rough, or very close to it. He thought he could sell his blood and was disappointed it didn't work that way. He was persuaded to give blood anyway though, for a cup of tea and a few packs of biscuits
                      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by NatalieCooke View Post
                        ...It didn't hurt at all and only took 9 mins to fill the bag plus I got to enjoy a drink and a couple of biscuits afterwards.

I hope someone reads this thread and books an appointment today!
                        Come on guys! DO SOMETHING AMAZING!!

It takes less than 5 minutes for me usually. (Probably 'cos of being common blood )

My personal best is 4 minutes 30 seconds
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

I've never been allowed to give blood although I would have willingly. I never knew why but Mothhawks post has given me a clue. I knew it had something to do with antibodies. I'm A-. I used to carry a card that gave the relevant information but it fell apart years ago and was never replaced. I'm now too old anyway.
                          "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                          "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                          Oxfordshire

Comment

mine was never any good,had yellow jaundice as a later teenager,these days am not a going concern anyway,meds and age.
                            Top marks to those that are able and do give,well done all of you,never needed blood myself,but dad did when he was alive.
                            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Well done Natalie and all fellow donors.

I've given blood at least 30 times over the years, but similar to Alison's comments, I don't think the appointments system is working that well. On the last two occasions I was planning to donate, there were no bookable appointments, and warning messages saying to expect a long wait. I turned up at one session on a 'walk-in' basis at a quiet time, but staff seemed both disinterested and unapologetic about the likely wait when they realised I didn't have an appointment.

If there's a shortage of donors, the blood service isn't managed as well as it should be to make sure all willing donors stay willing and regular.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X