No announcement yet.

Ways to keep your house warm in winter.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you suffer from cold feet have a look at the 'Heat Holder' socks. I bought some about 3 years ago, after a trial I went out and bought 12 more pairs, very soft and very warm.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
      If you suffer from cold feet have a look at the 'Heat Holder' socks. I bought some about 3 years ago, after a trial I went out and bought 12 more pairs, very soft and very warm.
      Oh those sound good, my youngest child has very very bad circulation in her hands and feet and are often blue, even in summer. Im going to see if they do kids sizes for her. I have got her them pocket warmers but she doesnt bother with them, she doesnt seem to be bothered by the cold but my mind works overtime. Good idea
      If you want to view paradise
      Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Parts of my home are really, really badly insulated.
        We even have strong draughts coming out of electrical sockets and the main fuse box!
        we're slowly renovating but it takes time.

During the day I find wearing a snood around my neck makes a heck of a difference.
        Thermal underwear is also a cheap way to go to keep warm...modern clothing seems more of a fashion statement these days!

I like the look of those socks Pots!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
          The biggest trouble with super-insulating your home, is that there's no way for the moisture to escape, and you will get damp from condensation! You can't really win.
          That's interesting because it isn't our experience.
          We are insulated way beyond the requirements and are a gnat's crotchet short of having a passive house. We have no condensation issues at all while most of our buddies with lovely draughty stone farmhouses tend to be damp in the winter.
          Maybe only using a woodburner for heating dries the air out? Consumption of lipsalve certainly rockets in the winter!

We tend to sit under throws in the evenings as well as fighting for the kitty footwarmer
          Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

My OH wears those socks, he thinks they are brilliant! I live in a cold house, and like Nicos wear something around my neck and always a fleece during winter but at least I can breath. I often go into other people's homes where they have the heating on full blast and are walking around barefoot in t shirts. It's so stuffy it makes me feel claustrophobic.
            A blanket and a dog on the settee is the perfect solution, although the worst draught for me is the open fire, when it's lit it sucks air down the stairs causing a big cold wind!

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
              We have no condensation issues at all while most of our buddies with lovely draughty stone farmhouses tend to be damp in the winter.D
              do you live in a new build PP?

Comment

Originally posted by PyreneesPlot View Post
                That's interesting because it isn't our experience.
                We are insulated way beyond the requirements and are a gnat's crotchet short of having a passive house. We have no condensation issues at all while most of our buddies with rockets in the winter!
                Come to think of it neither do my parents. Perhaps I just haven't blocked all my draughts yet! I do dry laundry indoors when I have no other option, which I know doesn't help.

I do find that an extra thin cotton under-layer of clothing, and my UGly slipper-boots work a treat!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Come to think of it neither do my parents. Perhaps I just haven't blocked all my draughts yet! I do dry laundry indoors when I have no other option, which I know doesn't help.
                  That's your problem! I only get condensation in the rooms when I'm drying clothes or cooking on the top of the cooker. I try to do most of my cooking in the winter in the oven as ive not got any vents and boiling stuff causes lots of wet windows. I find the fire in the living room drys out everything, during spells of rain we can see the outside stone walls drying off.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    That's your problem! I only get condensation in the rooms when I'm drying clothes or cooking on the top of the cooker. I try to do most of my cooking in the winter in the oven as ive not got any vents and boiling stuff causes lots of wet windows. I find the fire in the living room drys out everything, during spells of rain we can see the outside stone walls drying off.
                    Hubby shuts the kitchen door when he's cooking, and either opens the back door or the window. How else I'm supposed to dry clothes is a mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      do you live in a new build PP?
                      Yes - a self build. We used porotherm hollow clay blocks that have a hgh thermic value and also use a very thin joint to improve the insulation further. We then increased the thickness of the internal skin giving space for more than the standard level of insulation.
                      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hubby shuts the kitchen door when he's cooking, and either opens the back door or the window. How else I'm supposed to dry clothes is a mystery.
                        When its raining, I hang my washing in the log store (was a carport). Takes longer to dry but it does. It only comes indoors when its touchdry.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          When its raining, I hang my washing in the log store (was a carport). Takes longer to dry but it does. It only comes indoors when its touchdry.
                          I used to dry thing in Hubby's outdoor 'workspace' (polytunnel frame with tarp over) but it's a bit erm 'busy' in there now. (It's actually a ruddy tip, to be fair!) I may go back to doing that, even if it is a faff!

Comment

Our house is cold in the winter, very cold unless we have the wood burner going the only source of heat apart from the oven. Bought a plug in radiator last year but do not like to use it as it can short the electrics so cannot put the kettle on at the same time etc.
                            The Spanish built to keep the heat out in the summer, all floors are tiled, need warm slippers.
                            It is ok when you have the fire going the house retains some heat but you go away for a couple of days and it is colder inside than out. brrrrrrrrr

ps i love my uggs, they are so worn out and should really go to the bin, want to try and find some fake ones, not the brand but not sheep skin.
                            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

fairy lights!! They kick out a surprising amount of heat! We've just put ours up in the hallway for xmas (only the lights - any excuse) and the hallway is always soooo much warmer when they're up!

Comment

My house is victorian with very very high ceilings, I think the victorians used to ride their horses inside. If you want to be warm its best to climb to the top of the step ladders because all the heat rises up there. I have installed a couple of ceiling fans/ lights in places which blows the heat back down but not much.Maybe they kept the odd horse in there to warm things up.
                                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X