Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you keep in your medicine cabinet for winter illnesses?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whisky mac. Benelyn, paracetamol, Lemsips, imodium. But I haven't had a cold or flu since my first flu jab 3 years ago.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Most of these would help for normal flu, but man flu is incurable!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Most of these would help for normal flu, but man flu is incurable!
        Tut tut

If it was really incurable wouldn't all men have died by now?

Comment

Generally one of the Sudofed family of things and a few Ibuprofen tablets in case of headache. After that not a lot. Usually the Ibuprofen is in the car as occasionally driving will cause a headache - must use about 1 pack of 16 tablets a year. So not exactly a lot.

Those are the ones that have proven most use in the past.

Comment

Number one on the list in our house has always been Vick. We also have a pharmacy which makes their own cough medecine of which rosemerry is the base.
            After that its honey and lemon.
            We must be very lucky as we never need painkillers.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

A pot of Echinacea tablets for a boost to the immune system. Another of Arnica tablets to ease bruising and internal aches. A packet of Extra strength Flu capsules, just in case. B!s0d0l for digestive issues.

Sore throats are dealt with by a hot toddie, vitamin C and Honey.

It is worth noting that Honey is antibiotic, so should not be consumed along with your probiotic yogurts!!
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I don't have a medicine cupboard. I keep a pack of mixed plasters in the kitchen drawer, just in case of accident. Any incipient cold or sore throat is blitzed with vinegar and soothed with honey - combined antiseptic and anti-biotic, which generally stops any illness before it gets a hold.

Lemon's good too, but not as potent as vinegar, I find. I also put ginger in most soups and stews over winter, both as a warmer and as an immune booster.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

I do keep paracetamol and ibuprofen in the cupboard. Ibuprofen is mainly for when I get pains in my neck.

For colds I typically have some port/whiskey. Then go to bed over dressed to sweat it out...

When that doesn't work I'll have evovesant vit c and Beecham powders

Comment

I should have added I can also remove something to avoid ear ache, my hearing aid
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I am fortunate that I'm in good pretty healthy but focus on a good diet to keep me strong and only take medication as a last resort. I know some people who will pop pills at every opportunity whereas if I have a headache I find that most can be warded off by opening a window or drinking plenty of water to get some fresh air and hydration. Until I read this thread it had never occurred to me that anybody would have a medicine cabinet in winter or summer. Have got a roll of plasters somewhere but that's about it .
                      Last edited by Alison; 29-11-2015, 08:22 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Well you guys better start finishing those courses of antibiotics if your given them

Antibiotic resistance: New gene found in China heralds breach in last line of defence

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X