Composting detergents etc, any ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting detergents etc, any ideas

I go through quite alot of loo roll while I clean. I use toilet roll to clean as I think its cleaner than using the same rag for different areas, Only thing is I use soo much loo roll its a waste to see it all going down the loo or in the bin.

What detergents can I use that would be safe to go in the compost bin?

thanks guys
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

Use a cloth instead.

Comment

Don't know about detergents but its a waste of water to flush your loo just to get rid of the paper!

Comment

Ecover products???

How about some lemon juice in the water?

I hink it depends on where you are cleaning???

(I use any tissues like you use with started wood - once they have dried out)
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I only flush them when I clean the bathroom, any other time it just goes in the bin. Ill try the lemon juice idea. I use alot of bleach to get rid of stains off the kids etc but need something different more earth friendly.
          If you want to view paradise
          Simply look around and view it.

Comment

We have a grease trap which has to be emptied regularly. It takes the water from the washing machine and sink so you can imagine what is in there! It holds 250ltrs and the dirty water has to go somewhere and I don't use Eco products, just limit the amount of cleaning materials. Once a month it is pumped into the compost but that compost is only used on the flower beds. The plants don't seem to suffer. Non hazardous tissues can be composted.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
              I only flush them when I clean the bathroom, any other time it just goes in the bin. Ill try the lemon juice idea. I use alot of bleach to get rid of stains off the kids etc but need something different more earth friendly.
              White vinegar is also good as is Bicarbonate of Soda.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Bleach won't hurt or I would be in trouble by now. I use bleach water for cleaning and sterilising my pots, GH floor etc.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I use old t shirt/ tea towels etc for cleaning cloths, if used sensibly I can't see the problem.

Comment

Doesn't the loo roll just disintegrate in your hand? Like Scarlet I use torn-up old t-shirts etc and just chuck them in the wash with the dirty work gear, surely cheaper and less wasteful.
                    Last edited by Plot10; 30-11-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Microfibre cloths for most things. You can clean off most things with a damp one!!
                      Old Tshirts etc for really grubby stuff - binned afterwards

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X