No announcement yet.

Ideas wanted for tree "slices"!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem with a massive old dead almond tree, it was far too pretty to burn, but never did anything with them and they are still stacked next to the house

let us know what you decide
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Any woodworking sculptors in the area you can tap up? As long as they carve some for you they can have they rest sort of thing You could put them on their side and part bury to make a loch ness moster (who would be rather lost)

Comment

OK, if they're big, just make stools or tables.
        Attached Files
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

we will be selling these at the local Fair ...

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Like BM's ideas abut mobile planters!!!!

Comment

Brilliant idea G4 but they would have to made in situ due to the weight.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I presume the tree was cut down because it was rotten up the middle? So in effect you have a pile of giant wooden polo mints!
                btw, the slippy stepping stone thing can be overcome by wrapping them in chicken mesh. Pretty pointless though cos you'll break your leg when the middle rots out completely. If the middle is rotten and is easily knocked out they could be filled with compost and summat gown in them.

Whacky races and Fred Flintstones car wheels spring to mind. Come to think of it Glutton 4's tree rebuilding isn't so daft if you offset each 'wheel' and plant into the spaces, a bit like a strawberry tower.
                You could even make a retaining wall filled with ericaceous compost and plant acid loving plants in it/through it.
                Plant a blueberry in the middle of a few.
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ohhh..Snadge...nice ideas!!!

I'm sure I could find a few of our tree trunks which would fit in with that plan!!
                  Last edited by Nicos; 17-01-2016, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Dont think they were rotten in the middle Snadger, the tree was just too close to the house for comfort.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

What a terrible shame that was some lovely wood.
                      The trouble with the way it is now cut is that most if not all the rounds will split as they dry.
                      On the whole timber is cut the other way, along the grain. A woodturner would have been able to make some lovely large bowls from that but it is now mainly fire wood.
                      A tip for anyone in the future,if you think a tree is going to be good for more than fire wood then PLEASE leave it in as long a length as possible, it can always be cut shorter but once it cut to narrow rounds it really has very little use apart from fireood

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        Dont think they were rotten in the middle Snadger, the tree was just too close to the house for comfort.
                        That heart wood looks a bit black to me in the piccies that's all?
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Bobh View Post
                          but it is now mainly fire wood.
                          I believe that was the initial intention Bob.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

You could offer it to a wood turning club, in return for a nicely turned salad bowl or two, but I'm not sure they'd want if the centre is rotten.

On the other hand ash is THE best firewood. Harden your heart, chop it up,and burn it VC, it'll keep you warm for months.
                            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                            Endless wonder.

Comment

VC next time you take a big tree down, give me a shout. I will send Bob round with his chainsaw mill
                              That big pile of fire wood has a beautiful heart wood. It could've been turned into something beautiful
                              Like this.

This is made from just a boring larch.

Sorry I've spent far to long with someone mildly obsessed by wood in all forms (Bob )
                              Attached Files

Comment

Snadge, the tree wasn't rotten, just too big in the wrong place. I'll take a better photo tomorrow in the daylight.

Bobh, the wood was always intended to be firewood as I'm a wood burner, not a wood turner!! Its been cut into "manageable" chunks so that it can be moved as it was felled onto the garden. I dug up 6 little fruit trees to save them from being crushed
                                There are some longer lengths intact but it was the diameter/weight of the trunk and the need to move it that was the problem.
                                I'm sure I'll find some nutty use for some of it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X