No announcement yet.

Ideas wanted for tree "slices"!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bet the pups had so much fun, they look happy.
    How about offering it to someone who does woodwork in return for something special
    I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Just seen this on F/bk.
      Attached Files
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Dear BigMally, I have some tree slices. I wonder....................................

Comment

I wouldn't know where to start AP..........................
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas - keep 'em coming please.
            I've found that moving them needs 2 pairs of hands and a wheelbarrow as they are blummin heavy to lift Having "borrowed" some spare hands, 8 slices have been turned into "tables".
            Three slices lean against a tree stump, and support each other, with a 4th one as a "capstone".
            There are several more stumps dotted around the garden so I'll probably make a few more "tables". Always handy for coffee cups

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              ....they are blummin heavy to lift....
              Couldn't you roll them?

Edit: but you'd still need to lift them on top.. Ignore me
              Last edited by spamvindaloo; 24-01-2016, 10:32 AM. Reason: Not thinking things through!
              Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Loving the extra daylight you've got now gal
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Spam,
                  That was my first thought but they're not completely round, and they have to be rolled over rough ground, so they veer off course. If they topple over, its quite difficult to lift them upright again as you need to get your hands under them.
                  There's a 3rd "table" now - the garden looks like a prehistoric burial site, dotted with little cromlechs
                  Last edited by veggiechicken; 24-01-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                    Loving the extra daylight you've got now gal
                    Its made a fantastic difference already - and that's without leaves on the trees.
                    In a couple of weeks (fingers crossed) its going to get even better! My neighbour has asked my Treemen to reduce the height of his conifers by half and may be "persuaded" to clean up the lower branches on his oak tree too.
                    Since they can't get the shredder into his garden, or remove the logs, the plan is that the shredder will be in my garden and the trees will be felled over the fence, into my garden. I get to keep the logs and the shredded wood, which will be enough to cover the rest of the paths.
                    Win, win

Comment

These conifers, which are on the south side of my garden.

Can't wait for them to get the chop
                      Attached Files

Comment

That has opened the garden right up,like the use of the stumps and lumps,nice features,you got nowhere to hide now,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Those are beautiful VC, do you need to sand them down so no little splinters?
                          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

They look fab VC!

Comment

Originally posted by Lisasbolt View Post
                              Those are beautiful VC, do you need to sand them down so no little splinters?
                              They're really smooth, Lisa. Very touchable - and sitonable
                              Thanks everyone for your kind comments

Comment

The main thing seems to be to enjoy them! Maybe try polishing one to really bring out the grain and beauty. Dice, beads, etc would all be pretty if you chose the heartwood.

If you choose to break some up for the fire, try with an axe first - radial slices usually split easily, especially when green. (one on top of another works best)

The workworker in me winces for what might have been too...
                                Robert Penn wrote "The man who made things out of trees" which descibes felling an ash and all the myriad things he had made out of it. It was c 36" diameter!

It's still worth asking a turner, as smaller bowls, egg-cups etc can still be made from pieces of it.

Ash is more interwoven into folklore and tradition than even oak - maybe put bottles on the cromlechs and throw a party!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X