Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allotment main gate is 0.1 miles away!

Comment

20 mins away on foot but that is downhill and easy. It's a bit of a slog on the way home by foot. Btw, I take the car .

Comment

I quite like the fact that mine is a short distance from home. Far enough that I'm devoted to the lottie not in and out the house and getting distracted (as I do when I'm in the back garden) but not too far that I can't nip up there to harvest and check on things as necessary. Don't think I'd fancy a trip on the tube after I've been up there all day though, I usually look like I've been rolling in dirt and not exactly presentable

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Looking like a weirdo on the tube is my biggest problem tbh Alison! Especially in the summer when I stay up there until quite late and then I'm crossing central London caked in mud with all the people dressed up on a night out.

Comment

5-10 minute stroll from home to lottie gates only take car when something heavy to bring home (or take there)
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

I open the back door and step out in to the garden. As much as I'd love an allotment I would miss everything being right on my doorstep - I don't think I'd be half as committed. I'm sticking with finding a bigger garden instead!

Comment

20 minute drive approximately 6-7 miles away. Usually drive it cos I am too knackered to walk back. Used to cycle it but its all up and down huge hills so its as bad going one way as it is tuther.
                I would love a plot closer to home but beggars can't be choosers!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I use my back garden,it is a distraction I'm out there so much. When you're washing whites,get distracted by the garden shouting your name & then have hands caked in mud to empty the machine,that wouldn't happen for allotment people. Theres good & bad things in everything,must concentrate on the good things.

Comment

Originally posted by mrose View Post
                    Looking like a weirdo on the tube is my biggest problem tbh Alison! Especially in the summer when I stay up there until quite late and then I'm crossing central London caked in mud with all the people dressed up on a night out.
                    Sounds best of both worlds! London and the garden. I no longer live in a metropolitan area, but in a town, and would like to live in a city again, but probably never will. I visit my parents in London and it is great, but then that is visiting, and so much buzz and energy and places to see in London, but the money just flys out of your hands - or you sit at home.

I am habituated to having all this space now - hard to say what is better, London or country - I think London, but then not on a tight budget I guess.

So zero time to get to my plot - but then when I would like to go somewhere there is not much but shopping and fishing, maybe the library or visit someone. If we really want to spend the effort we can do an hour drive to the small city near, but that is either expensive or dangerous depending on what you are up to. Not a lot of this anymore (old photograph of Elvis and lights from when we used to get around (Vegas Strip))

Comment

Originally posted by kimble View Post
                      .....hard to say what is better, London or country.....
                      Country very time. I have to visit London occasionally and even a day is too long. I'm not that much of a city person anyway but London is one of the worst I've ever visited.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I love London! The best city to visit. I get a flutter in my tummy when I get into Paddington - I just lovethetube though love the countryside too...not too keen on the beach but I do like to fish occasionally

I grow in the garden, love to have a little walk around my patch picking my stuff just before I cook.

Comment

I have a 15 minute walk to the allotment. I have three schools to navigate and with my large garden trolley it is foolhardy to go the the allotment between 8.10 and 9.05. However, when walking in my old clothes and carrying my long handled fork (or spade) I notice that the b*****d's don't stand in my way. The children are fine and usually take no notice which suits me.

Only trouble is that it is hard pulling the trolley home as it is more uphill than down.

I also avoid 12.00 noon and 3.15 to 4.00 when the usual idiots congregate and cause more problems for their children than anyone else in the area.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                            Country very time. I have to visit London occasionally and even a day is too long. I'm not that much of a city person anyway but London is one of the worst I've ever visited.
                            To each their own, obviously, but as a Londoner born and raised I couldn't disagree more! Though I think it's fair to say that the visitor/tourist experience often includes some of the least interesting/most stressful places (and often happens at the worst times of year!).

I'm a total homebody though, so possibly I'd be this wedded to a small town if that was what I was familiar with.

As it is too much horizon and being more than five minutes from a 24 hour corner shop gives me the cold sweats! (Though country holidays are lovely).
                            Last edited by mrose; 26-01-2016, 05:23 PM. Reason: there --> their

Comment

A 10 min walk to the plot, but usually just a 5 min bike ride.

I enjoy that it's close enough to the house... but far enough away to escape from family, life, the world, etc.
                              .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X