Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most stupid/daftest thing you have done in the garden/allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is hilarious! I thought I was accident prone, but I'm nothing compared to your hubby greenishfing

Comment

Well I wasn't going to bring up any of his sailing catastrophes but this was one of his daftest..............

At one time many years ago we were living aboard a boat. My husband saw a Tinker Tramp "unsinkable" inflatable sailing dinghy for sale and went and bought it saying it would be great to have as a tender for the boat as well as to have fun with.

We took it down to the beach and tried to inflate it. We discovered it had a puncture, went and got a repair kit, mended it and then put the mast up and decided we had time for a quick sail around the bay before it got dark.

All was going well and we were right in the middle of the bay when for some ridiculous reason my husband wanted to find out if it really was unsinkable. We were zapping along with plenty of wind when he moved his not inconsequential bulk over to the downwind side of it and leaned overboard.

We immediately turned turtle. The dinghy was still afloat.............upsidedown. Unsinkable maybe........... but not idiotproof.

I came to the surface under the sail twice before eventually finding clear water by which time he was starting to panic. Due to the weight of the waterlogged sail we couldn't right the dinghy so had to swim ashore towing it until the water was shallow enough for the top of the mast to hit bottom and help us.

Eventually, looking like 2 drowned rats, we got ashore and decided to go get a shower in the marina.

This was when our problems really started. My husband had had his keyring with boat and car keys and marina keycard on in his pocket when we went overboard and now they were gone and we were wet, cold and shoeless and it was getting dark. We couldn't get into the boat car or showers.

The keyring had had a small cork float attached and, ever the optimist, I decided that as the tide was coming in it might conceivably have ended up on the beach. We spent the next hour shivering at the waters edge trying to find them. Firstly I found my flipflops, then the baling can and eventually with about 1 cm of the float showing above the water the keys.

Never (well maybe once....another story) has a hot shower been more appreciated.

After this I only ever sailed the dinghy singlehanded and the keyring got a far bigger float attached and I always checked it was attached to clothes or zipped into a pocket when near water.

Comment

What a funny thread,we shoudn't laugh but,cannot help it,as a small kid i sat on a cue cumber fame and went through,all i can remember was being tolled off,the injustice if it,every now and then somat or other grabs me,the other year i fell in the fish pond front first,another time fell and broke a rib,just last week the rake attacked me down the lottie,still got bruise head ache and not feel well,i often fall over for no reason,,the thing is i have a devils own to get up on my own,like last year fell on the gravel path at home,all i could do was squeak,MR tried to help put could not,did it myself in the end,the fact my shoulder was suffering from snapped elastic did not help,you never lived if you not fell over and gravel rashed your knees,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X