No announcement yet.

Which strimmer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it was meant to be & a better deal is waiting for you.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
      If you're buying a hedge trimmer and looking for a strimmer, why not get one good tool to do both? Interchangable heads/tooling on one good reliable motor is less storage/carriage and you only have one engine to service in the cold season.
      +1 on the idea to buy 'branded' tools like this too, getting parts for a chinese cheapie next year will be more trouble than the dealers want to know. Generic things like starter string and primer bulbs are OK but anything else and it can get hard going.
      I already have a multi-tools(strimmer, hedge cutter, chain saw), a Titan from Screwfix. I am in the process of fixing it. It will start, but struggles to increase revs. But I feel relying on one tool, if it does not work I have no power tools.
      My hedge trimmer, from Tesco direct, is a Einhell, made in German, and it does feel like a smoother engine, although lots of plastic.

Comment

Just looked at Which? best buys for strimmers and their top four are:
        Stihl FS94C-E £320, Bosch ART35HD £65, Ryobi RLT6030 "42, Stihl FS38 £149. Hope this helps.
        I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Mousetrousers View Post
          Just looked at Which? best buys for strimmers and their top four are:
          Stihl FS94C-E £320, Bosch ART35HD £65, Ryobi RLT6030 "42, Stihl FS38 £149. Hope this helps.
          Thanks, everyone seems to recommend Stihl, but they are so expensive.

This is on the Stihl web site - "Petrol has limited shelf life (as low as 30 days), so always mix with fresh regular unleaded, purchased from a reputable large volume fuel supplier."

I know some people say that their power tools wont start at the first try in the Spring, I didnt know if the fuel issue was true. I might try change the fuel on my strimmer that refuses to rev.

Comment

Originally posted by YFS View Post
            Thanks, everyone seems to recommend Stihl
            That's because they are professional quality tools

Originally posted by YFS View Post
            but they are so expensive
            That's because they are professional quality tools
            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Modern petrol does go off and leaves a varnish like coat in the carb with attendant problem's if left over winter. A can of carbon cleaner is useful, sometimes a quick wiff of it in the air cleaner and that sluggish engine can burst into life otherwise a thorough cleaning of the fuel system will probably sort you.
              Don't go using carb cleaner to start everytime because it hides a deeper problem. It a bit like easy start.

Comment

I don't think stihl are silly expensive.. an FS38 good entry level domestic strimmer, under £150 from a dealer, excellent back up.
                Spares all available.

You could easily blow £150 plus on a heap of poo online!

The main problem is the petrol, our petrol isn't up to long term storage and use!.

Either pay £20 a gallon for Aspen fuel or a couple of quid for some Briggs and Stratton fuel stabilizer, enough to treat 10ltrs, it'll keep the fuel good for a year or two!
                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

This petrol will not keep is in my opinion open to debate, over the many years that I have had petrol powered tools/equipment/vehicles I have NEVER had a problem with leaving fuel over-winter & subsiquently starting the engine in the spring/summer the following year.
                  With regard to your engine that starts & runs but will not rev, old fuel is not the issue.

Comment

Ditto .

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
                      This petrol will not keep is in my opinion open to debate, over the many years that I have had petrol powered tools/equipment/vehicles I have NEVER had a problem with leaving fuel over-winter & subsiquently starting the engine in the Springfield/summer the following year.
                      With regard to your engine that starts & runs but will not rev, old fuel is not the issue.
                      Up until around a year ago, I would have agreed with you, I never drained old fuel, never had a single issue for 15 years of petrol machinery ownership.... then it happened!

Only around 6-8 months of no use on the mower and strimmer.. both gummed up. Bad luck, perhaps.. but it's my understanding that the ethanol in modern fuel is the problem, attracting moisture, bacteria..causing the trouble making 'jelly'..that's certainly what Briggs teach you on the course!

My strimmer was only slightly gummed but it was enough to need a sonic clean.. it would start and run, but wouldn't pick up!

The Aspen fuel is amazing stuff, burns really cleanly..was great in my lamp! but that was free..I couldn't pay £4 + per litre!
                      <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

I guess it's going to be related to the percentage of 'biofuel' added to basic petrol

Comment

I think its even more random than that!

We only have one petrol station in the town, I've exclusively used this for mower and strinmer petrol for 10yrs +.. Only had one issue.. there's gotta be more to it than sods law!?
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Not got around to getting some carb cleaner yet, and I am making a bench so that I can leave the strimmer bits in the back garden.
                            I did see a youtube clip about scythe vs strimmer; and the scythe won. I guess there is a skill to using a scythe, but it did put the idea into my head. Although scythes cost upwards of £40.

Comment

I had to go and look - Outstanding

sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Impressive...well done "Simon".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts