X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? The future of farming?

Lettuce towers and office block farms - is this the future? - BBC News

I rather fancy a lettuce tower up the stairwell

I like the idea that it could lead to more people eating crops grown without the need for any pesticides. That Pak Choi looked absolutely beautiful.
    LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Well I have read or heard somewhere that if the human population grows much more (say by 2 to 3 billion) then there will be a problem in that we will not have enough land or water to grow all the crops that the population will need.
      I must say that I like the idea of a Bak Choi wall! You would not be able to lean on it but you could chew it whilst listening to the secret conversation going on over the other side!

Thinking about it though it would not be very good for tall plants or feeding cows. There would still be the harvesting and storage problems.

Step over apples could be accommodated quite nicely but would be a problem in moving them around any corners.

Bill

Comment

Farming must continue to evolve. The current model of mono culture and artificial fertilisers has proven profitable but at a cost to the environment and particularly the top soil quality and quantity.
        Chances are we will eat less free range meat and more insects as protein.

Comment

Ha ha, I thought this was going to be a Brexit thread!

It's all interesting, trouble is it all still takes mega amounts of finite resources, not land but energy for example. Also if ever there is a problem in either type of set up shown eg aphids or fungi, it will whip through the whole crop really quickly.
          "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X