Cuckoo!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuckoo!

Just heard (and seen) the first cuckoo of Spring (edit - 2006) - according to our older neighbours it comes through this week (15th - 19th April) every year!
    Last edited by smallblueplanet; 19-04-2007, 03:39 PM.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I saw a few first brave swifts/swallows/martins the other day Couldn't really see what they were as I was driving!
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Yes I saw our first hirundine the day before.

Comment

I saw my first bee of the year today at the allotments.
        [

Comment

I saw my first butterfly today whilst out walking the dog. We've had bumble bees flying around for the past week, unfortuentely none of them have taken up residence in our bee box, but I think we put it out too late this year! damn! At the beginning of April I saw a woodpecker in the woods - it's the first time I've seen one as I've only heard them before. I was able to get quite close as well - it was amazing to see! I love this time of year!

Comment

Saw the first Cabbage white butterfly today. Something green and caterpillar like is also spinning silk and hanging from my trees. I don't know what it is but I bet it is not good.
            Jax

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
              I saw a few first brave swifts/swallows/martins the other day Couldn't really see what they were as I was driving!
              They were Swallows as one came fizzing overhead whilst I was resting on my laurels (well leanding on the spade anyway)
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Things with wings...

I saw my first butterfly last weekend and have seen a few bumble bees on the plot over the last two weeks. Also saw a sparrow hawk getting mobbed by a crow whilst trying to catch a pigeon!

Your cuckoo sighting is pretty impressive though, you hardly hear them anymore, let alone SEE them - lucky you!
                You can take the girl out of East Anglia but you can't take the East Anglian out of the girl. I can't afford the operation so my feet will always be webbed!

Comment

seen bees for the last couple of weeks. Saw a big queen bumble bee with a red bottom first. Our door bell sounds like a cuckoo but that's the closest I've got to that one hehe
                  Act - Sing - Perform!
                  Theatre Cats

Comment

First willow warbler and bee in the garden day before yesterday (also heard and saw a pair of greenshank), also first swallow and house martin yesterday. Hooray for Spring! About time as well. Still waiting for spotted flycatcher and cuckoo, they're the last ones to arrive.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Well another year passes and I've just heard my first cuckoo of the year today!

Also just seen our first 3 or 4 swallows, one sitting on our tv aerial 'twittering' away. Probably won't be long now until our house martins turn up again.

Comment

Just seen my first swarm of honey bees.....I want, I want - but don't yet have a hive! gutted they are in such an easy place here at work! right place wrong time...was even thinking of getting hive this weekend.
                        gutted, gutted, gutted, gutted sob,sob,sob, bu99er! sorry had to get it of my chest!

Comment

Can't you get someone to get them for you? Why can't you get them now?

You've reminded me I also saw a swarm of bees (I think) last year, never seen one before.

Comment

I can get them ok, just dont have a home for them yet, maybe next week I will have a hive, but they will be long gone by then!
                            More sobbing!

Comment

couple of weeks back we had a lovely bird (ring collared dove) build a flimsy nest in a stupid place halfway up our garden. within easy reach of hounds, cat and other wildlife. She laid a load of eggs, and we watched what we thought was a cuckoo do its utmost to get her to move off of it.

she abandoned. sad but a relief really - I had vision of having to section off part of the garden after the hatch in order to give the guys a chance.

lots of butterflies in the garden - white ones with little orange tips on their wings. no idea what they are called but they are very pretty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X