This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Flo maybe room-service needs to sleep a bit closer to the kitchen
    Gardening gal I didn't spend anything yesterday well apart from in the greengrocers and butchers, don't think that counts.

Sorry to read your sites been broke in to again Cad
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Morning all. Cold and frosty here today. Been mooching around this morning, now to get children ready for a cold muddy dog walk in the woods. Will be putting a chicken in the oven before we go - mmmm - hoy chicken sandwiches

Will be trying to persuade OH & children to come poo collecting at some point this weekend as well.
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Morning all! Slow start for me this morning - once the kitties had their brekkers, they wanted a cuddle and a doze on my lap - can't deny them that.

They are now snoring on the settee (one on, one behind (by the radiator)) so I've sneaked away to get on. Cleaning awaits!

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
        Morning all. Cold and frosty here today. Been mooching around this morning, now to get children ready for a cold muddy dog walk in the woods. Will be putting a chicken in the oven before we go - mmmm - hoy chicken sandwiches
        Read this as 'put the children in the oven' it was only the lack of logic of taking them out for a walk in the woods AND putting them in the oven at the same time that made me re-read....!

Right - lets see how far I can get changing the sheets before the hooligans discover what might be a great new game....

Comment

• Good morning all. Dull and damp here this morning. No firm plans for today so lets see where the mood takes me.
          Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            Read this as 'put the children in the oven' it was only the lack of logic of taking them out for a walk in the woods AND putting them in the oven at the same time that made me re-read....!
            I'd only put them in the oven if they were very naughty
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
              Ha! The wicked Witch Of The West...!!!!!! Cackle, cackle ..........

Hello to all . Not been around here for a bit. Hope everyone's faring okay in these dark, dismal November days .......

Had no time for my garden, but had a quick mooch around on Thursday and hey guess what, Sparrow...?
              In amongst my green manures which I sowed in the bed where the saffron corms had been planted, and I'd given up on ........... growing merrily amongst the green manures, some green shoots about 4" high that are the saffron ......
              Wasn't expecting to see that!
              Also my onion sets are tentatively pushing through the surface of my bed now too.
              Chilli plants, amazingly still going strong in GH ...

I see that VC has relinquished the wielding of her pointy-stick to concentrate full time on her nuttership duties.
              Hope SP hasn't let the power go to her head and is being wise in her use of her custodianship of said pointy-stick.....? (Although there is always that fringe element that need to be persuaded into towing the line..........!)

Have a lovely Saturday evening you lot whatever you have planned....
              ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
              a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
              - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                Hazel,

Will provide pics but here is brief description in advance - punch 3x 3/8th, (or similar), holes round the bottom of cup.

Using a 'very sharp' knife, slice from each of the holes to just under the rim of the cup.

Between each of these cuts, make cuts just under the rim of the cup in the opposite direction down to about halfway.

Pinch out the edges of the holes on the bottom.

The purpose of these cuts is to encourage feeder roots all over the root ball and creating these air vents apparently does just this, whereas using normal pots or even peat pots does not.

However, I am going to extend my experiment by doing something similar to peat pots as I am not convinced by the author's summary dismissal of these as having no potential to provide similar results if treated the same way?

Getting rid of all the little bits of polystyrene requires keeping a small bag handy as they stick to everything especially hands - I used the craft knife to pick a lot of them up and dispose of same.

(To make the cuts I used a craft knife I also bought at Berwick on Tweed for my son in law to work on my grandson's model Railway only to find he had just bought one himself on the same day so I kept mine and put it to good use).
                Hazel,

Apologies for delay - at long last I managed to copy pics also took one of my own
                Attached Files
                Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

• Originally posted by SusieG View Post
                  Hope SP hasn't let the power go to her head and is being wise in her use of her custodianship of said pointy-stick.....? (Although there is always that fringe element that need to be persuaded into towing the line..........!)
                  I think you're a tad behind times Susie.
                  sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                  -----------------------------------------------------------
                  KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Good evening Folks, not as cold out side now, just back home out to see our granddaughter as its her birthday, how time flies, it doesn't seem that long ago that I was pushing her around in her pram, and now she is 19, how times have changed, when I was just a few months older than her age I was planning on getting married, in fact if my family had followed the plan I would be pushing great grandchildren around now, I think the birds have it right push them out the nest when they are big enough to look after themselves, mind you my OH would disagree with that as she would have them staying here with us. No thank you I would very likely finish up having to wash the dishes.
                    Welcome back Susie, I hope things at work are running a lot smoother, as no doubt you will have found there are some changes to the Vine police, sorry Mods, and as you noted no pointy stick, though I would like to see it burn in the GRs fire it would do for kindling.
                    Well I wish you all a good night, enjoy the rest of the weekend, see you tomorrow. Goodnight
                    Last edited by rary; 26-11-2016, 11:10 PM.
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
                      Is your house made of gingerbread, perchance..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sheneval View Post
                        Hazel,

Apologies for delay - at long last I managed to copy pics also took one of my own
                        Thanks, Shen - I'll scrutinise this in the morning. I may have questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by rary View Post
                          Good evening Folks, not as cold out side now, just back home out to see our granddaughter as its her birthday, how time flies, it doesn't seem that long ago that I was pushing her around in her pram, and now she is 19, how times have changed, when I was just a few months older than her age I was planning on getting married, in fact if my family had followed the plan I would be pushing great grandchildren around now, I think the birds have it right push them out the nest when they are big enough to look after themselves, mind you my OH would disagree with that as she would have them staying here with us. No thank you I would very likely finish up having to wash the dishes.
                          You raise an interesting point, Rary - despite today's youngsters being so much more 'mature' at an earlier age than a generation (and more) ago, the idea of any of the late teens of my acquaintance being responsible enough to be married, or plan a career or family and - in fact - of being independent (or being able to do very much at all without the intervention (monetary or otherwise) of their mothers) is remote.

But the world turns, and all that, I guess.

Comment

• Morning.......

Comment

• Morning Crew - Some good news, two individuals were spotted climbing the fence of the allotment last night and we have the registration number of the bike they arrived on. They realised they had been seen by a plot holder who lives next too the allotment and scarpered. At least we have something tangible to give to the Parks Police when they are back at work on Monday.

I really can't believe that they don't work over the weekend!
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 27-11-2016, 06:15 AM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Morning all

Welcome back, Susie. I did notice you weren't around much but I have only been able to dip in and out myself. It is a crazy busy time of year.

Daughter has been poorly with a nasty cough and cold so hoping I don't get it now.

Made myself (no one else likes them - good!) some sugar free mince pies yesterday. Found a very good recipe on Hemsley and Hemsley and used my own pastry. They were so good I ate more than normal so not sure that is wise but at least they were full of good ingredients - with a nice big glug of alcohol too ha ha.

I think I'd better not have too many mince pie baking days in the run up to Christmas because they disappear too fast.

Will be watching my daughter sing in the school choir today at the local craft fair so hope that goes well.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
                                LOVE growing food to eat in my little town back garden. Winter update: currently growing overwintering onions, carrots, lettuce, chard, salad leaves, kale, cabbage, radish, beetroot, garlic, broccoli raab, some herbs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X