Dash cam help please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
    ...I've just been poking around the Which?...
    I don't think much of 'Which?'.
    I don't think much of Nextbase.

But it's your money and your choice.

...They are saying its the best they have tested...
    Then whoever tested it either doesn't get out much or is lying.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
      Then whoever tested it either doesn't get out much or is lying.
      That's a bit unfair FB, 1,600 buyers give it 5 stars, they can't all be liars.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

As the review appears to be on/from Amazon they will have systems to create a review. Does anyone expect Amazon to say how poor something is they sell.

There was however one Amazon item that was notorously hilarious, concerned hair removal cream.

In a different area I read reviews of equipment that are given glowing reviews, 4 1/2 or 5 stars only, never less and in the magazines relevant to the hobby, includes Which. Slight problem is that anyone in that field knows they are junk and my personal view is they should not be sold.

Having to tell someone they have not got the best of items takes a bit of diplomacy, but most do not like being told their £300 item is sort of junk.

Magazines get paid to showcase something and I suspect that 90% of the time they never see the item.

Try a simple google of item name and "review".

Comment

Seasprout was referring to a Which review - not Amazon.
          Unbiased reviews are hard to find anywhere but I would like to think that Which are impartial.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
            As the review appears to be on/from Amazon they will have systems to create a review. Does anyone expect Amazon to say how poor something is they sell.
            A system may be in place but it does not stop the buyer from giving 1 star as 79 buyers did...........Amazon do not give the reviews, the buyers do.
            Last edited by Bigmallly; 21-12-2016, 10:29 PM.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              That's a bit unfair FB, 1,600 buyers give it 5 stars, they can't all be liars.
              Then those writing the reviews haven't tried enough cams to be qualified to make the comment about the 312GW being top-notch.
              Even Nextbase's website rates the 312GW below their higher models.
              https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/

Comment

To balance things up here's the Amazon page for the Joovuu https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-rev...l&pageNumber=1

I don't think Amazon have "created" many reviews for this item, Kirk
                Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-12-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                  Then those writing the reviews haven't tried enough cams to be qualified to make the comment about the 312GW being top-notch.
                  Even Nextbase's website rates the 312GW below their higher models.
                  https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/
                  Not everybody has the luxury to try out a dozen products before they decide to buy............most folk would do some research then take their chance, just because not everyone agrees with you does not make them wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    ....I would like to think that Which are impartial....
                    Yes, they probably are impartial.

But they often don't understand enough about the product to make a fully accurate review and they don't fix several cams side-by-side for a few weeks, months or years in various conditions and properly analyse how the cams compare against their competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      To balance things up here's the Amazon page for the Joovuu
                      The JooVuu was arguably released too soon and as a result had a number of grumbles from early adopters regarding its firmware/software.
                      There are still a few combinations of settings that can trip up the cam but the same can be said for a lot of the cams out there.
                      The JooVuu cam's hardware seems very robust; for over a year I've had one on my dash-top in full direct sun, in a black car, and it still works perfectly. A Nextbase 402G that I had lasted only a few months and even before it stopped working it was prone to losing focus when it was hot or on long journeys when the cam itself got hot from prolonged use.
                      Last edited by FB.; 21-12-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

And here are some non-Amazon reviews:

Nextbase In-Car Cam 402G Professional review | Expert Reviews

Quote by one poster, named Steve McGill:
                        '....75% of the Nextbase junk we sell come back faulty within a fairly short space of time....Transcend or Mio make much better, more reliable units, often for much less'

And I agree about Nextbase lack of quality and how Transcend and Mio make much more reliable cams. I have no connection to Transcend or Mio but I do have a few old workhorses made by those companies and they've been faultless for tens of thousands of miles and a few years.

And here:
                        Nextbase In-Car Cam 402G Professional Review - Car Dash Cam Reviews

'Battery issues reported in older models'
                        (i.e. haven't stood the test of time; without a working battery inside it won't save the last file if your car cuts power or loses electrical power during or shortly after an accident).

Like I said: I wouldn't use a Nextbase cam if someone gave me one.
                        Last edited by FB.; 21-12-2016, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Son in law bought a £25 wine/chocolate hamper via Amazon for my daughter for xmas.
                          Turned up , 2 thumb sized bottles of a fruity wine ( on sale at asda for a pound each) and three bags containing three chocolates in each ( on sale for a pound a bag at poundland/poundshop), total cost to make £5.
                          Son in law wrote a review warning people not to get ripped off with this product backing up his claims with photos, Amazon still wont allow review to be seen ten days later...............just saying

Comment

Although I can't claim to be completely impartial when it comes to Street Guardian, I notice their European retailer/distributer has a sale on at the moment.

Unfortunately the post-Brexit weakness of the British pound still makes the Street Guardian cams fairly expensive.

All use supercaps for improved reliability compared to mainstream cams which use batteries.
                            The owner of the company is Australian and is well aware of how sun and heat inside a car in summer quickly kills dashcams, sometimes to the point where batteries + heat = fire.
                            Unlike Nextbase, Street Guardian (and JooVuu) clearly state the hardware used inside their cams.

Link to the Ireland-based company which sells Street Guardian - note prices in Euros hence the problem of the weak Pound.
                            Dashcams | Dashboard Cameras | Car DVR

-
                            Last edited by FB.; 22-12-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X