Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two days to decide..........

.............how to record my gardening activities in 2017

I have 9 different gardening journals and diaries, a normal diary, 5 year diary, a what to do today book and several notebooks. Every year I start with good intentions and by March I've run out of steam.
    I like looking back to see what I've done and when but January is about the only complete month I manage.

I've tried blogging which was good for photos but a bit of a chore to keep up.

So, tell me, kind grapes, will you be recording your 2017 garden and how, please
    Inspire me!

Nothing exciting here I am affraid, just simple notes, temp, weather type, whats been sown, germination date etc

Comment

I am the same as you. The best I have managed is a monthly run down of what has happened. Basically the calendar thread with notes.

What do you actually want to achieve? I only used mine as a bit of a nosey/ memory jogger. I am not organised enough to use it to perfect sowings and such likes

Comment

Done all the paper versions and spreadsheets to death, but this year going to try the blog, I have set up two pages one for each allotment and I'm about to set up a sowing and planting schedule on there and keep it live and updated.

Plan Your Work
        Work Your Plan
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Do you have a computer or tablet?
          I use tablet to take photos, then upload them to a shared folder - with option to add a short comment to each photo.
          My immediate family have accepted invitations to share access to this folder, but if you have (or can get) a second email address, you could choose to be the only group member!

Comment

Daily photos for me...no notes. I just like photos.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 29-12-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry, nothing to add from here - I gave up recording anything years ago
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                What do you actually want to achieve? I only used mine as a bit of a nosey/ memory jogger. I am not organised enough to use it to perfect sowings and such likes
                I like to look back and see when I sowed seeds last year to decide whether it was too early or late.
                Can't cope with spreadsheets or recording too much detail.
                I need someone to prompt me to write up a diary or summat each day. I've set up a reminder on the computer but I hate being nagged by a machine

Comment

Well, I have a gardening diary and a day by day diary.
                  I have been keeping both for years.not a huge amount of info in either of them but enough to give me a good idea of what I have been doing on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                    Sorry, nothing to add from here - I gave up recording anything years ago
                    Me too, apart from the weather that is.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I like to look back and see when I sowed seeds last year to decide whether it was too early or late.
                      Can't cope with spreadsheets or recording too much detail.
                      I need someone to prompt me to write up a diary or summat each day. I've set up a reminder on the computer but I hate being nagged by a machine
                      VC - I've kept my diary since I got my first plot in 2012 and I look back and plan based on the notes I have left myself. My camera automatically uploads the photos to dropbox and I move them into a folder and use them on the Diary/Blog if you do it like gardening a little at a time it works.
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I've set up a reminder on the computer but I hate being nagged by a machine
                        Yes it almost as bad as being nagged by a woman

I have several note books bought for recording my work in the garden, some year I might use one
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Last year I used a simple notebook I kept in the greenhouse (in a plastic box with a pencil - so it stays dry) and wrote down what I've sown and when, as I wrote out the labels.

The notebook got quite grubby, but writing the labels (pencil in hand) was enough of a reminder for me to actually make notes.

Comment

I just blag it!

Makes it more interesting for me!

Spreadsheets and diaries are for work, and I don't class my allotment or garden as work.
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

VC.......put 8 diaries away & just use one...........as for me, I won't bother.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X