Elf and safety

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elf and safety

I'm watching Monty on the telly with hammers and chisels, making holes in brickwork and he's not wearing any eye protection, he's just squinting(maybe hoping to catch any flying debris in his eye lashes), please folks, don't follow his example, goggles/glasses or a shield is vital, you really do need your eyes working properly.

I'm really surprised!
    Which channel was he on?
    The BBC usually go rediculously overboard on H&S......

Good warning burnie
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm an ex H&S man from engineering, I was trained to notice these things, I try not to be OTT though

Comment

You only get one pair of eyes.....silly to put them at risk isn't it?

Comment

Some people give H&S a bad name with their stupid regulations, I remember when going on scaffolding on building sites you prayed for a set of wings....................
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I used to post on the Gardeners World forum, perhaps I should go back and tell Monty off lol.

Comment

GW is back on?
              Where were the reminders?

How have I missed that... that means its Spring! Huzzah!!!
              Last edited by Baldy; 03-02-2017, 09:16 PM.
              sigpic
              1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

GW is back in March Balders. Monty's on Big Dreams, Small Spaces.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  I'm an ex H&S man from engineering, I was trained to notice these things, I try not to be OTT though
                  I am not trained but hate blood so am very risk averse.

Comment

I was trained in risk assessment and used it all my life..(.still do subconsciously !)... and was the First Aider in the workplace.
                    The stuff I've seen would make yr hair curl

You should see the stuff that goes on here where there is hardly any personal injury litigation.
                    Wet, slippy floor from leaking freezer in a supermarket?...tough....either "it's not my job to clean the floors"or "yes, We know, You need to be careful"
                    No signs/blocked off/someone sorting it out....
                    If you say " what if an elderly lady/your grandmother didn't spot it and slipped and broke her hip?" You might get a flash of concern across their face and they will pass on the message....
                    Beggars belief!

Comment

Anyone working in the garden or doing DIY should be aware of anything that can be harmful and wear the right protection. Wear rubber gloves and maybe a mask when using certain chemicals then wash them afterward, use eye protectors if you're using a tool on something that could fragment in the process, ensure any ladders are stabilised before you use them, and never take chances.
                      I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Funny you should say that Nicos, when I visited the Somme we went through some temporary traffic lights that only had red and amber. When we enquired we were told Red equals Stop, Amber equals Go at your own risk.

Then there is grass cutting on a motorway verge, no cones, no lanes out of use just a man in a machine with an amber flashing light.

I have to admit I am not sure I entirely disagree with the attitude. I do believe if you wrap people in cotton wool you eventually breed fools unable to look after themselves.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It took a bit of getting used to....being responsible for your own safety!

Trip over a broken paving slab and break your ankle?....you should have been looking where you were going or...these things happen!

The weirdest thing with driving are the high curbed hexagonal, unlit mini-roundabouts.
                          The sort of thing you could take your subframe/sill out with just by going round a bit too close....supposed to make you slow down and be more careful!...yup, it certainly does!

It's good that it's not litigation based safety , but sometimes even basics are lacking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X