Butterflies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterflies

Where are all the butterflies. I hardly have any. I remember last year we talked about this. We all had plnty early in the season, then they disappeared and reappered later. Yhis year I had plenty early in the season, but now, none. The buddleas are flowering and usually covered in butterflies - but none. Something else to blame on the weather ? How's everybody else getting on? Oh yes, I know about the cabbage whites

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

I get loads of Red Admirals on my plot, sadly none of them are obliging enough to stay still while I get a pic! Have seen a fair few Peacocks too, had to rescue one out of the chooks house today. Not so many cabbage whites, which is not such a bad thing and a little blue one fluttered by yesterday but it didn't hang sround long enough for me to get a good look.
    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Glad you've got some KirstyB. Anybody else got the usual ones, or noticed their absence.

Comment

Yesterday I was watching 6 cabbage white fluttering around INSIDE my neighbours cabbage netting!!!
        I agree- not seen so many this year, although I have to say that I've not been out as much pottering around as I would in a 'normal' year.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cabbage white: just 1
          Tortoiseshell 1

Usually 50 plus on buddleia.
          Rain delayed hatching?

Comment

Apparently its all down to the weird weather this year. The flutterbys did their thing early this year, in the hot April, then went away for a while. I have just now started getting Cabbage Whites (hundreds...anyone want some?) and a few little brown jobs.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've seen tortoiseshells recently, 2 red admirals, and a small blue one. Lots of cabbage whites, I think they're invincible.

Comment

There have been two Large White immigrations this year the first in May the second during the last weeks of July, these are continental migrants pushed over here by the extensive breeding season in Europe.
                BTW August the 4th is the peak day for seeing butterflies as all second brooded species have emerged and the continental migrants have boosted numbers, But it is during late August the rarities like Queen of Spain Fritillary, Clouded Yellow and Camberwell beautys arrive
                http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Deffinately a shortage of Butterflies this year. Lots in April and May but what with all the awful weather after that there is now a shortage, including the Cabbage white

Thought you might like to see this beauty, Swallowtail
                  Attached Files
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Yes, it's dreadful, really miss the butterflies, all except the cabbage whites, just one brown skipper to report and I only have to think back to my childhood to remember all the butterflies that used to be around.

Saddest of all was after having seen not one red admiral this year I found the remains of one, just a little bit of wing in the hen run this morning, the fiends.
                    Sue

Comment

Thanks folks. So it's not just me. This time last year I had Peacocks flying about in gangs and plenty of painted ladies and red admirals. This year - nothing.

Comment

Guys, if you want butterflies, you gotta grow nettles!
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've seen too many cabbage whites, only a couple of peacocks, a couple of red admirals, and a few small brown butterflies that won't stay still long enough for me to get a proper look and one that had black undersides to its wings but didn't want to open them to let me see the tops.
                          You are a child of the universe,
                          no less than the trees and the stars;
                          you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Just started spotting them again this week, as the sun has come out again! The buddleias on a plot near mine have been covered in both butterfly and bees. It's been lovely to see after them being 'missing' for months

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Guys, if you want butterflies, you gotta grow nettles!
                              Anyone want any - I've got loads (nettles that is)
                              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X