Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blimey.... I actually like.....

Tomatoes

For the past 30 odd years i've resolutely insisted that I hate raw tomatoes (oK for soup, sauce etc). The ones I put in growbags were for the OH and for cooking with.

Although they've been a disaster this year I was persuaded to try one the other day - I actually liked it! (and if you're interested it was Sungold).

So... what fruit or veg have you suddenly found enjoying after a good many years.

Derek
    http://madallotment.blogspot.com/ - updated 19/08/2007

I grew Sungold first time this year. Scrumptious.

Comment

I seem to have enticed the family into at least tolerating turnip. Not relished by all but eaten anyway!

Waiting for enough courgettes to be ready to make it worth slicing, dipping and frying to see if they can be stomached by me after nasty childhood memories
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Mine was sprouts. For over 40 years I haven't touched one, 60's school dinners have to answer for OH persuaded me to try one and guess what; yep I liked it; same goes for courgettes and black pudding
        Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

I've only grown what I know we like - that said, there aren't many vegetables I don't like so it makes it tricky. The lady wife is not a great lover of lettuce apart from Lambs Lettuce, so I might try that next year.

Don't you just love the smell of tomato plants?
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I have not tried to eat raw tomatoes or fruit for years, toms have to be cooked and fruit juiced. I just can't handle the texture of it, gives me shivers doen my spine thinking about it.

If my one remaining blight free tom survives, I might try a little one raw, maybe...............

Comment

For me it's beetroot. Horrible childhood memories of pickled beetroot - but now I've grown it and tried it boiled or juiced, it's been great!

Comment

Yes, one of the delights of wandering around my garden now is the smell from the tomatoes! This year I've rediscovered bored beans. I've always loved them but started to take the bland canned ones for granted and not notice them any more. My fresh ones earlier this year have reawakened my taste, just scrummy!!
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Mine aws broad beans-grew 'em because i got a free packet and everyone said they were easy. tasted'em just because i had loads and loved'em! As an added bonus my 21 yr old and my oh loved 'em too so next year lots more plants!
                  Raine

Comment

Pickled onions.
                    For years said I hate them, then OH was criticising some I'd pickled, so I tried one and found that I rather liked it.
                    Have not eaten sprouts for years - too many smelly soggy overcooked ones when younger. Cooked some at Xmas, par boiled then sauted with some butter, salt and pepper so that they were still crunchy and sweet. Like them now.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

I like veg anyway but when I met bob he wouldnt eat toms, beetroot, salads, brocoli, cabage, cauliflower, avacado, sprouts, the list goes on, dont know if its my cooking or what but there is nothing he wont at least try now. (he could just be growing up I supose)
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Swede Couldn't eat it until very recently, until I had it pureed at a restaurant. Not sure what they did with it but it was delicious!

I still can't drink tea, though - I try it every 2 or 3 years, just to make sure.
                        http://inelegantgardener.blogspot.com

Comment

Still don't like parsnips - even my own home-grown ones. They taste of perfume!

If ever a tomato cured a non-eater it would be sungold. My fave.
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I actually like fresh beetroot - not the stuff drenched in vinegar I was given as a kid.
                            And baby sprouts are year by year 'growing' on me ( sounds painful!)
                            Rhubarb ( esp Schnapps!!) and gooseberries and currants also appeal more.
                            Tis true that growing your own does alter your taste in fruit and veg!
                            Hmmm....broad beans are still causing concern - and runners........
                            Last edited by Nicos; 15-08-2007, 03:01 PM.
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

All veg tastes better when cooked lightly, not boiled to death. And drenched in a bit of butter/olive oil doesn't hurt either.
                              My OH doesn't LIKE veg, but he's just eaten a plateful of allotment dinner
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X