Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Field crop with white flowers now - any guesses ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field crop with white flowers now - any guesses ?

Driving through NW Herefordshire yesterday I noticed 5 or 6 large fields in different places where the plants were producing all white flowers - it looked very much like the farmers were growing a crop of cow parsley from a distance. Being lazy I didn't bother to stop and scramble over a hedge for a better look, but now I'm thinking perhaps I should have made the effort, as I can't turn anything up on Google even as a sensible suggestion to what the plants were.

Nothing obvious like peas or field beans BTW, as I would have known them even from the car.

i'm assuming you'd recognize potatoes, even though it's early for them to be in flower, so could it have been a flower farm growing for the cut flower trade? There's one near Blakemere, not far from Hereford, there may be others.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

No not spuds.

These fields were on different farms too over about 10 miles or so - most off the Hereford to Kington stretch, but one the other side of Kington. Looked a bit like a white flowered version of flax.

From the look of it I'd say the plan was to cut the crop at some stage later in the year, possibly for seed.

Comment

Could it be Meadowfoam | Yara UK

Limnanthes alba.

Comment

Genetically modified albino rape seed?...................................arghhhhhhhhhhh...........or may be not.

Comment

Maybe it’s a covercrop like buckwheat?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Could it be Meadowfoam | Yara UK

Limnanthes alba.
              Certainly a possible VC - new to me.

Comment

I did wonder about that - certainly the look is about right, but it seemed unlikely from what I could tell of its hardiness that it would be flowering at this time of year in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  Driving through NW Herefordshire yesterday I noticed 5 or 6 large fields in different places where the plants were producing all white flowers - it looked very much like the farmers were growing a crop of cow parsley from a distance.....
                  Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                  ... Looked a bit like a white flowered version of flax.
                  You're confusing me - did it look like cow parsley or flax? They are not very similar.

Perhaps it was a seed crop of carrots. After all, someone must grow carrots for seed.

edit: no, that's not likely, Herefordshire is clay, isn't it?
                  Last edited by mothhawk; 12-05-2018, 07:21 PM.
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    Genetically modified albino rape seed?...................................arghhhhhhhhhhh...........or may be not.
                    Actually, it could well be - Latest News | Agronomy Services for Crops in Dorset, Somerset, Devon & Wiltshire | Pearce Seeds LLP
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                      You're confusing me - did it look like cow parsley or flax? They are not very similar.

Perhaps it was a seed crop of carrots. After all, someone must grow carrots for seed.

edit: no, that's not likely, Herefordshire is clay, isn't it?
                      You get a lot of clay in Herefordshire certainly, the soil is based on the old red sandstone.

I got an impression of the colour of the flowers which reminded me of cow-parsley - the height, about 3', and the lank type of growth reminded me a little of flax. Flax however is a crop itself that I'm not overly familiar with, so maybe I'm wrong on that point.

I can imagine one field of carrot seed - 6 or 7 in a 10 mile stretch of road seems "unlikely"

Comment

I'd say it didn't seems as dense a crop to look at as one expects rape to be, ie all packed in tight together - this stuff looked rather more wispy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X