Storm Kettles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storm Kettles

Having failed to find a "green" replacement for my allotment bottled-gas ring, I've seen storm kettles advertised. These involve lighting a small fire in the base which then heats around the inner chamber containing water.
    Anyone got one, know if they work as well as advertised? they're not cheap so would like to be certain before I go ahead. But it would mean an end to me adding empty gas cylinders to landfill.
    Sue

If by storm kettle you mean the type that have the water vessel in a 'tall collar' shape with the heat from a fire going up the centre of the 'collar', these were commonly used in narrowboats, both as water boilers and heaters. Evidently very efficient but I've never seen one in use in real life!
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I think if you google Kelly Kettles you get some pics. Sounds brill but again, never seen one in use.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

you can get Kelly Kettles from eBay, they look terrific

http://search.ebay.co.uk/kelly-kettl...0kettleQQrprZ1
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They are great, we have one and it was our faithful friend on many a fishing trip until we lost the bottom of it when going for a paddle, having slung the kettle in the back, kayak capsized and the bottom section is now settled on the bottom of Loch Naver. They are a little bulky (we usually tie it to the back of the rucksack where it swings it's way to the destination) but so efficient at heating water. I've cooked fish on them too, using a little clip-together grill thing. Superb! Delay no longer!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Birdie Wife
            Thankyou, I've not seen a small grill thing on offer, do you remember which one that was, there seem several types on offer.
            Glad it works, will be great to ditch the gas cannisters and will have real fun making outdoor tea.
            best wishes
            Sue

Comment

My version! Made from a gas bottle!
              Attached Files
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We got a replacement bottom bit from the Eydon Kettle Co, they were really helpful. I notice they have a cook kit that fits to the bottom half of the kettle, but you'd have to build up a few embers before it worked well, I suspect. We used an ordinary camping toaster like this one ('grill' is probably too grand a word for it, but it works!) which came with another camp cook set and just held it over the heat while the water was coming to a boil.
                Last edited by Birdie Wife; 20-10-2007, 09:15 AM.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

They look great Sue. I'm like you, using one of those little as stoves, but getting through at least a bottle a week of gas. Very wasteful, although our council does take the empties for recycling. Think I'll have to put one of those on the Christmas list, the kids would be fascinated!

Oh, and that stove looks cracking Snadger, did it take a lot of cutting/welding?
                  Last edited by SarzWix; 20-10-2007, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Sarzwiz,
                    Like you I get through one a week and we don't have recycling for them here so big guilt trip.
                    Thanks for the details BW, I must get one although will keep the gas stove down the allotment for when its tipping down and need to retreat to the shed. But it will save a lot of awful waste. Reckon with the cooking bits it would pay for itself in about 18 weeks.
                    And Snadger, if we all had your level of DIY ability....it looks lovely and cosy, am very envious - would welcome that when I'm shivering in the cold this winter
                    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post

Oh, and that stove looks cracking Snadger, did it take a lot of cutting/welding?
                      There's a rather lengthy thread on here somewhere, where someone asked me how it was made! In retrospect I think I should have PM'd him the reply to save boring everyone! I made it in a couple of hours and had a stove lighting ceremony at the allotments with everyone stood around.......chuffed to bits when I found it surpassed even my wildest dreams!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

OH used to live in a caravan (don't ask!!??) and had a little pot-bellied stove which he'd rescued and renovated. He was so chuffed with it when he first got it going, and ended up with it more or less glowing it was so stoked up, with all the doors and windows open (middle of December), and a bucket of water at the ready!!
                        What is it about men and fires ??!!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                          OH used to live in a caravan (don't ask!!??) and had a little pot-bellied stove which he'd rescued and renovated. He was so chuffed with it when he first got it going, and ended up with it more or less glowing it was so stoked up, with all the doors and windows open (middle of December), and a bucket of water at the ready!!
                          What is it about men and fires ??!!
                          I've had mine glowing and once it was 'chuffing' and frightened the life out of me as I was convinced it was going to blow up! I did nearly blow the door off once when I stuffed it full of empty plastic milk cartons ....without removing the screw on tops...lesson learned and one pair of trousers for the wash!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X