Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face moisturiser

Hi,

Can any one recommend a really good face moisturiser that does not cost a fortune?

I am starting a course of tablets next week and have be told that my skin is going to get extremely dry and chapped. and I will need to use loads of cream.

Thanks, Mandy

It may seem a strange reply but if you use Savlon cream( but buy the generic one as it's much much cheaper ) then the antiseptic will keep any irritations down. It's a thick but non greasy cream, so won't encourage spots either. A little will go a very long way on your face and it's not smelly.
    You can also apply it many times each day.
    When my transient alzheimers clears up I'll try and recall it's name, but any pharmacist would know.
    Last edited by Nicos; 01-11-2007, 04:27 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Neutrogena hand cream is a clear gel which disappears after about 30 mins. Supposed to be for hands but it is very good on faces... About £3,45 for a tube.. which lasts and lasts cos the smallest amount is needed. Available in scented on unscented. I use both on hands and face.. Cracks go...

Comment

I like the Simple range because the moisturisers are very light and easily absorbed. Tesco own brand Vit E is quite good too, and only 79p. It's probably a case of trial and error until you find one that works best for you. You could always ask for samples from places like Boots for the more pricey brands, inc Boots No 7 etc.
        Julie

Comment

E45 if you use lots, prescription free from the chemist. Tis very good on dry skin.

Comment

I'd go with Piglet and the E45. Good all round moisturiser.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks everybody, I had not thought of using savalon or E45 they are on the list as is neutrogena. I think thhings like simple will be too light, been told it is going to be really, really dry not looking forward to this.

I think it will be a bit of trial and error, Mandy

Comment

Good luck with it Mandy. Cold cream and Nivea are also pretty good if you need heavy duty cream. I have had times when I was so fed up with dry skin that I smeared on Vaseline - pretty drastic but it works in desperate times.
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Trouble with E45 is its paraffin based, and makes my eczema worse.
                  the very best thing I've found is Body Shop Mango (or other flavour) Body Butter. Extremely rich, smells like a fruit salad or a cocktail, but costs ... yikes, £12
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm with everyone else on the E45 cream. I have especially sensitive skin but it always works fror me. You can also get E45 lotion and something you can drop into the bath water that seems to soothe everything. I used it a lot when I had a bad reaction to penicilin and it worked a treat.
                    One other thing... may be that your lips get dry too - I have always found Nivea lip care repair works very well.
                    Good luck with the tablets - hopefully you won't have to take them for too long
                    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I know it sounds daft but ever tried olive oil
                      Last edited by bubblewrap; 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM.
                      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                        I know it sounds daft but ever tried olive oil
                        Almond oil too ... smell of marzipan.
                        Carmex is great for lips (Boots, cheap) and Burt's Bees range always comes out top in surveys (Boots, Waitrose)
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I had thought of olive oil but I was worried because it will be really greasy, it is a 4 month course of tablets so don't want to feel oily for that long

The body shop stuff sounds good too, will give that a go as well.

Good point about the lips thanks Two Sheds and Scarry.

Going to be buying half the shop I think

Mandy

Comment

Emu oil is excellent, it's non allergenic very rich but absorbs wonderfully into the skin and it's not too dear if you buy it online.
                            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Vit A?

Mandy,

I'm not being nosey but when you said a four month course I wondered if you are trying Roacutane (high does vitA): if not ignore me, but I used it several years ago and you are welcome to email me direct if you want to.

I used 1001 lip balms as I wasn't keen on vaseline, but in fact it was the only one that helped! You may also find that you need eye drops: I used the ones meant for contact lens wearers and they were the best.

Good luck

Nicky
                              Saoirse: Irish meaning Freedom (I think!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X